 Off-Topic / Debate / 17360
Re: Is the Palestinian Cause Dead? The Latest Terror Attacks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 22:11:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:
[snip]
I am very troubled by what is going on, and I can see both sides desire
and need for their own home. Sadly, the world blew it 70 years ago for
the Jewish people, and basically flipped them the bird, and now we are
paying the price for that. To get out of this mess, we need to not flip
the Palestinians the bird, and at the same time acknowledge the plight
of the Jewish people.

Why is it that this seems so easy and obvious when we're just talking about • it,
but no one is doing it?

The reason no one (i.e. current political leaders everywhere) is doing • anything
is really quite simple.  To do so would require them to admit that what they
have been doing (or not doing) up till now was wrong.  I do not know for
certain about the rest of the world but I doubt any Republican or Democrat • (the
two USA political parties for anyone who does not know)would admit to being
wrong about anything. If you want an example look no further than the
California energy crisis a short while ago. Anyone with an ounce of knowledge
about Economics should understand what happened there. Price caps coupled • with
increased demand and Environmentalist prohibition on produceing new power
plants are a sure way to cause an energy crisis.  The problem could have been
fixed rather quickly, IF the politicians were willing to admit they were • wrong.

There were a variety of contributing factors, but basically Enron engaged in
good-old-fashioned price manipulation.

Enron did that after the government imposed price caps.  When demand exceeds
supply and the price is fixed eliminating the ability to reduce demand by
raising prices, guess what happens.  That certainly does not excuse Enron but
it is not just a simple case of corperate greed either.

-Mike Petrucelli