 Off-Topic / Debate / 13974
Re: More on Airport security.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 04:22:21 GMT

Of course, if they want to exercise their freedom of speech by
publishing books, they should bear the risks of assassination, right? Or
stop publishing books.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Horst Lehner writes:

The essential difference between these two is this: There IS a right to
freedom of speech, but there is NO right to freedom of flight.

Essentially, if threats by foreign governments are made against a book
publisher, or an airline, it's the same problem. It might as well be a dry
cleaner for all that.

Airports, airlines, and government must continue to work out how to protect
the individual rights of everybody involved.

Right. But what are those, in your definition?

You mean there are definitions in this group?

Really, what's the point of that debate? You ask me to write another essay
but there are far more who think any definition is pointless. You've already
made up your mind, it's implicit in your writing, just as my assumptions are
implicit. What you're really saying is, you recognize my assumptions and
disagree with them. I get that.

I say there's no difference in principle between Salman Rushdie with Random
House, or the airlines now. Both are entitled to extra physical protection
in the face of threats. Or not, in which case we have chosen anarchy. It's
important for this to be understood clearly today, so that the US policy
thus far of "capitulation and appeasement on a case-by-case basis" can be
reversed.

-Erik