 Off-Topic / Debate / 13271
Re: The big lie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 18:15:38 GMT

Do you think private security guards would be better?

Yes. Or armed passengers if the airline so chooses.

I'm still resolving that part of the issue for myself, but it puts me in
mind of the other side of the coin:  Since the airlines are primarily
private corporations, and the aircraft are their property, they are well
within their rights (correct me if I'm wrong) to restrict firearms on board
their aircraft just as non-gov't airports are within their rights to
restrict firearms within the airports.  Even if, therefore, airlines allow
passengers to be armed, couldn't the airports simply say "no weapons,"
thereby making the question of onboard weapons irrelevant?

Yes. And a fully private system with airlines and airports each making
individual decisions on this may well be significantly more complex to
administer and track. At least at first.

(hmm... I'm flying to Hobby today... that means pack my flechette gun
instead of the tranq as Hobby bans tranqs in the terminal... later, while
enroute... Oh no, we got rerouted to Intercontinental... They REQUIRE tranqs
and ban flechettes...)

Err...at the risk of being completely obtuse...I'm just curious: are you coming
back to town this weekend?

james, who doesn't know what either flechettes or tranqs are, but otherwise gets
the point that firearm regulations under different administrative bodies could
be a hassle.