 Off-Topic / Debate / 13338
Re: The big lie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 13:04:21 GMT

The admins of these airports (as with private ones) ought to individually
decide what to do about security. If that means they want to use public
employees, fine but I would not give these employees any more (or less)
power than private security contractors.

Let me get this straight. You think airline/port security should be set by
the private sector (I have shown they can not be trusted) and regulated by
lawyers (removing the responsibility from the consumer)?

Scott, you haven't shown any such thing.  You have shown that _you_ _think_
they can't be trusted.  Based on the fact that some people in the past have
made mistakes.  Since I can demonstrate government agencies that make hideous,
disasterous, and corrupt mistakes, does that equally disqualify the public
sector?  Come on!

The real deal is that no private organization can be trusted to act out of it's
own best interest.  So you think that public organizations should be doing it.
The catch is that no public organization can be trusted that same way.  Any
person and any body will act in accord with their perceived best interest.  So
free marketeers want to set up systems that depend on self interest to work,
but make the direction that self-interest takes them covergant with the
ultimate goals of those who set up the organization.

There just is no significant difference at root between a government board of
oversight and a corporation.  Little things like the nature of their revenue
are different, but they're still just groups of people making things go (or
not).  The people making decisions are making them based on self-interest.

If we make the people, whether public or private sector, who have an interest
in air(port/line) security operations personally liable for screwing up, and
significantly rewarded for doing a good job.  Then in theory, they'll do a
better job.

With which part of that do you disagree?  I can see arguments, but I'm curious
about which ones are yours.

Chris