 Off-Topic / Debate / 13428
Re: The big lie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 06:21:41 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

I was talking more about how the air industry has weakened security
proposals in the past - not their failure to implement existing
regulations.

Because it was expensive.  Everything has a price and sometimes we're not
willing to pay it.

My worry is that if the market is allowed to dictate airline safety then the
safety may become heavy with superficial safety issues and the ones the
public does not understand fully (say widget maintenance) slip. Safety
should be based on risk assessment not focus groups or public hysteria .

I agree with the final comment.  Why would a government agency provide more
sure widget maintenance than would a private corporation.

???

The FAA has fined airlines many times for rebadging used parts (or
dangerous/damaged parts) as certified for re-use.  Seems damned obvious to me that
the private corps are trying to cut widget maintenance costs IN SPITE OF government
agency rules/regs. Remove those regs, and planes will be dropping from the skies
left and right without any "help" from terrorists.

I just worry about corporations cutting corners for the sake of profit. That
is what happened here:
From:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1538000/1538682.stm
==+==
Within the last decade, a major commission headed by then US Vice-President
Al Gore recommended increasing security to international levels - but the
industry opposed the idea so strongly that the plan was never adopted, say
industry insiders.
==+==

It was too expensive.

It WAS too expensive.  I wouldn't say it's too expensive now.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/