 Off-Topic / Debate / 13446
Re: The big lie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 14:50:22 GMT

Larry,

This is all fine and good, but IF they were to fully privatize
airlines/airports/maintenance/etc, and remove the liability shields........

how long would YOU wait before flying again?

I sure as hell wouldn't fly for many years.  I wouldn't want to be a guinea pig in
the private airlines experiments as to how close they could cut the line between
losses that are bad PR and losses that put them out of business.

Maybe YOU are willing to take that chance.  I am NOT.

I also don't think the airlines should enjoy any liability shields at all, even
under the current regulatory system.

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Christopher Weeks wrote:

I was talking more about how the air industry has weakened security
proposals in the past - not their failure to implement existing
regulations.

Because it was expensive.  Everything has a price and sometimes we're not
willing to pay it.

My worry is that if the market is allowed to dictate airline safety then the
safety may become heavy with superficial safety issues and the ones the
public does not understand fully (say widget maintenance) slip. Safety
should be based on risk assessment not focus groups or public hysteria .

I agree with the final comment.  Why would a government agency provide more
sure widget maintenance than would a private corporation.

???

I have made some changes and insertions so that the resulting statement is
one that I agree with.

The FAA has fined airlines many times for rebadging used parts (or
dangerous/damaged parts) as certified for re-use.  Seems damned
obvious to me that the private

c/private/mixed/

(Mixed economy corps, not private. If they take bailouts, invoke liability
shields, and use subsidised facilities, they aren't *quite* private... Not
hardly)

corps are trying to cut widget maintenance costs IN SPITE OF government
agency rules/regs. Remove those regs,

add:
without removing the liability shield

and planes will be dropping from the skies
left and right without any "help" from terrorists.

This is standard economic analysis, if you set things up so the market can't
operate, you don't get optimal results. Work through the analysis with
unlimited liability for negligence and see if you get the same result.

Friedman didn't.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/