 Off-Topic / Debate / 13306
Re: The big lie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2001 18:24:04 GMT

The
private sector can't be trusted:
http://www.airsafetyonline.com/news/2001/08/02/4.shtml

Efforts by the air industry in the USA to oppose improvements in security
has lead to the situation where the USA very lax security for internal flights.

From:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1538000/1538682.stm
==+==
Within the last decade, a major commission headed by then US Vice-President
Al Gore recommended increasing security to international levels - but the
industry opposed the idea so strongly that the plan was never adopted, say
industry insiders.
==+==

If the Gore Commission did not make any recommendations I can assume
security would have been even worse than it was on the 11th.

I deny none of the above except the unstated implication that this is the
only possible outcome. Remember, these actions are by heavily regulated
firms that, as it turns out, managed to (quite easily) wriggle off the hook
for liability.

The regulations are largely irrelevant. Generally they set a minimum
standard, not a maximum one.

That's the theory, but in practice it has turned out that regulations are
HIGHLY relevant... they are a min-max. In other industries the defense that
"we were in conformance with standards" has been an accepted defense. This
has been discussed in depth before here, and elsewhere. See Friedman, for
example. So regulations get you standards that everyone tries to exactly
meet and not do better on.

It is my understanding that UA and AA are open
to litigation for their "failure" on the 11th - is that not the case?

No, I believe they are off the hook. They will be liable only up to the
extent of their insurance and no further. That's part of the bailout, unless
it changed at the last minute. So it's not the case.

To make this indictment stick for a strict liability system like is proposed
you would need to show that wriggling off the hook was even possible, much
less easy or inevitable.

I'm not clear on what you mean?

Read it again, more slowly.

++Lar