 Off-Topic / Debate / 13278
Re: The big lie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 10:09:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:
I am actually interested to hear why you have changed
you mind on airport/line security.

I don't believe I *have* changed my mind about it.

Really. Who psoted this then:

==+==
I want to get the federal government
_completely_ out of every area where it's made
such a mess -- health care, education, law
enforcement, welfare, foreign aid, corporate
welfare, highway boondoggles, farm subsidies. Not
only are these programs unconstitutional, they do
tremendous damage to our lives.
==+==

Presumably it was me, but whether it was or not (I forget and you gave no
link so I can't check without searching) I agree with it.

Nothing inconsistent there with my stance on airline security or airport
security either. The airlines ought to be responsible for security on board
airliners and ought to be held accountable (strictly) if and when they blow
it. The airport owners (which in most cases are government but SHOULD be
private) should be responsible for security in airports and ought to be held
strictly accountable if and when they blow it.

Larry:

I agree with you on principle here, but my question is how we can remove the
incentive to cut corners from private enterprise when public safety is at issue,
yet still maintain a true free-market enterprise?  IMO, we just cannot really
trust public safety to private enterprise without heavy regulations.

james

I agree. I don't want airline security to be set by consumer focus groups. I
think the public will always trust a government regulated system more. The
private sector can't be trusted:
http://www.airsafetyonline.com/news/2001/08/02/4.shtml

Efforts by the air industry in the USA to oppose improvements in security
has lead to the situation where the USA very lax security for internal flights.

From:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1538000/1538682.stm
==+==
Within the last decade, a major commission headed by then US Vice-President
Al Gore recommended increasing security to international levels - but the
industry opposed the idea so strongly that the plan was never adopted, say
industry insiders.
==+==

If the Gore Commission did not make any recommendations I can assume
security would have been even worse than it was on the 11th.

Scott A