 Off-Topic / Debate / 13284
Re: The big lie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 13:04:26 GMT

The
private sector can't be trusted:
http://www.airsafetyonline.com/news/2001/08/02/4.shtml

Efforts by the air industry in the USA to oppose improvements in security
has lead to the situation where the USA very lax security for internal flights.

From:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1538000/1538682.stm
==+==
Within the last decade, a major commission headed by then US Vice-President
Al Gore recommended increasing security to international levels - but the
industry opposed the idea so strongly that the plan was never adopted, say
industry insiders.
==+==

If the Gore Commission did not make any recommendations I can assume
security would have been even worse than it was on the 11th.

I deny none of the above except the unstated implication that this is the
only possible outcome. Remember, these actions are by heavily regulated
firms that, as it turns out, managed to (quite easily) wriggle off the hook
for liability.

To make this indictment stick for a strict liability system like is proposed
you would need to show that wriggling off the hook was even possible, much
less easy or inevitable.