 Off-Topic / Debate / 10260
Re: Inter-racial, Inter-religious, Inter-national relationships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 15:43:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:

Getting stared in public may be something you have to
get used to if it's inter-racial.

<shaking head, sigh> That's just disgusting.

Yes and no.  One can carry it to rude proportions quite easily (especially
those with a sour expression on their face), but honestly, people tend to
look at things out of the ordinary.  They aren't trying to be rude, it's
just different, so they look.  16 years down the line, I don't notice it
much - perhaps society has gotten use to it, at least in California.

All these things can be overcome.  But realistically, they are just one more
thing to trip over.  An understanding and supportive family that respect
your decisions is the best thing to have in these kind of situations.

Whoops.. I musta lost that somewhere in the process. I don't wanna get into
details, but the first thing my mom said was "We'll just make him covert".
So much for supportive, right?

That sounds like it's more to cover their embarassment at the situation than
concern for you, but it's hard to tell from my position, so take that with
an extremely large dose of salt.

Bruce