 Off-Topic / Debate / 10126
Re: Inter-racial, Inter-religious, Inter-national relationships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 23:28:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
Put another way, I'm of the strong opinion that it's generally nobodies
business how a relationship works except the people involved(1).

<<cut comment and paste>>

1:Which isn't always necessarily just the obvious people.

<nod> The question is, who are the people involved? You say, *not* just the
two people in the relationship, right? Who is also included? Parents of the
two? Friends? Family? etc. Who in your opinion should be involved?

Compatability is a funny thing, and various factors like religion, culture
and so forth will obviously play a part in that, but in general, the culture
in most 1st-world countries is becoming more tolerant, so the differences in
religion & such are less important in general, so they play a lesser role in
that compatability than they have in the past.

<shrug> *Becoming* more tolerant is still quite a far way off from *being*
tolerant, IYKWIM.

The distance thing is a different issue, and in my experience, it takes a
fairly strong relationship (of any degree, friendship, marriage,
what-have-you) to overcome the strain of long distance.  It also requires
work from both ends.  It's much easier now than it used to be, but its still
a trial.

Yes, *definitely* agreed, from tons of experience. The stronger the
relationship and the more important it is to you, the easier it will be to
keep in touch from far away. But by the same token, the harder it'll be to
*be* far away in the first place.

There's a whole lot more than can be said on both topics, like you
mentioned... you aren't big on the easy question, are ya?  ;)

Heh. Wish I had easy questions to ask you... wish I was asked easy questions
myself. I've got a bunch of physics problems to solve, but I wouldn't
consider those easy either! ;-)

-Shiri