 Off-Topic / Debate / 10226
Re: Inter-racial, Inter-religious, Inter-national relationships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2001 13:16:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
Ideally: I want to live in a world where we wouldn't have a question like this.

Reality: That still isn't the world we live in, but the world is what we
make of it! :)

I am proud to say that I am the fine product of all three factors:

Arab father / Irish-Welsh mother
Moslem father / Catholic mother
(won't name country) father / American mother

Be proud of that country, no matter what it is...

I think back to my childhood when my family settled back in America in a
trailer park, 1979. I remember the generous, daily butt-kickings I received
from the mob of older kids yelling "go back to Iran, camel jockey" and my
family wasn't even from there nor did I ever ride a camel (rode a donkey
once). Heh, and I was born in America!

So, it's hard to recommend dating or marrying out of "your own" simply
because of the harm you may receive from cowardly, ignorant bastards.
However, I dig it when love prevails! Me and my wife are totally different
skin-wise and we've received nasty comments (mostly from whites) and I don't
really care. Blood is blood, were all the same under the skin. Anyone
wanting to say different can go join the KKK.

Hear hear.

I think it's a testimony to your upbringing (that is, to your parents) and
your own inner strength that you have risen above the prejudices of others,
for the most part, anyway.

We cannot eradicate injustice or prejudice throughout the entire world by
waving a magic wand, no matter how much we want to. But we CAN ensure that
we raise our children to be just and not to prejudge as best as we are able.

Preaching to the choir here, I suspect that just about every reader of this
group that has children is doing just that. But it bears repeating in case
there are any who aren't.

++Lar