 Off-Topic / Debate / 10239
Re: Inter-racial, Inter-religious, Inter-national relationships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2001 18:40:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Maggie Cambron writes:

I'm glad the census bureau collects data on such matters as the number of
bathrooms contained in the average household.

The number of bathrooms is not a factor in determining how many people are
resident in an area for the purposes of determining proportional
representation... that is the role of the census as specified in the
constitution. Any collection of data other than that is for
non-constitutional (not necessarily "un-", mind you... just "non") purposes.

Since this data is sold to marketing companies I see no reason for the
government to collect it. Let the marketing companies do their own research.
IF they can find willing participants, that is. I consider it a violation of
my privacy to be forced to give this data out for free.

Since this data is required to be supplied on pain of civil or criminal
penalty, refusing to give it is in my view a noble act of civil disobedience.

++Lar