 Off-Topic / Debate / 10129
Re: Inter-racial, Inter-religious, Inter-national relationships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 00:26:10 GMT

This is a very complex question, which really comes down to a persons
priorities. For example if a Christian and a Jew want to get married several
questions arise. Will the ceremony be performed by a priest or a rabbi? Will
dietary laws be obeyed by both parties? Which holidays will you celebrate?
While these questions may not seem like a big deal at the time, how will
that differ when children enter the picture.  Which religion will the two of
you share with them, realistically a child will not gain a sense of balance
from exposure to two very different beliefs, as much as they will be
confused by why mommy and daddy don’t agree.  If religion plays a very small
part in your life, or core beliefs are very similar (i.e. two protestant
religions) then the issue is much less important.

When it comes to race or culture, these are generally non issues, except for
some very rare health issues. I recall a teenage girl with a black father
and white mother was unable to locate a bone marrow donor, which was
partially due to her somewhat unique racial makeup.  Any long term decision
needs to be carefully thought out, all points considered.  Will the families
on both sides be accepting?  Are there any cultural traditions that will be
mocked or misunderstood?

I have personally known several people involved in mixed marriages, my
grandparents were an interracial couple.  Many of these relationships go on
to be very successful, but statistically they are the most likely to end in
failure.  My best advice is sit down with your partner and realistically
discuss all these matters and how important they are to both of you.  Don’t
let anybodies prejudices get in the way, but don’t ignore vital beliefs or
traditions either.

Scott