 Off-Topic / Debate / 10121
Re: Inter-racial, Inter-religious, Inter-national relationships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 21:27:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:
...I'd be intereted to hear what people's opinions about inter-racial
(inter-ethnic?), inter-religious and inter-national (i.e. people from
different countries) relationships.

I am fairly open-minded... I have had relationships outside my religion,
race, and country...(ahh the wonders of those college years, but I digress)

With today's internet as well as
world-wide transportation, I'm assuming these are much more common than a
hundred and prolly even fifty or twenty years ago. Some people feel it's
fine and great, other disagree for traditional or other reasons.

The internet is only a very small part of the cultural change of the past 40
years...  The wonderous and somtimes ugly thing about this 225+ year
experiment known as the United States is the melting pot effect that has
become our "culture".  The internet is merely a technological tool enabling
communication, idea exchange and commerce.  More commonly, globalization,
relative peace, sustained economic expansion, access to higher education and
decline of the nuclear family have eroded some of the traditions,
stereotypes, morays and prejudices of previous generations.  (Your mileage
may very on this point, since we are all individuals)

What about you?

-Shiri (who could write for hours about this, but will first wait for response)

Whilst I have been relatively comfortable with cultural diversity and the
breakdown of many stereotypes...many others are not comfortable (including
some races, and a couple major religions)

For example....I have dated women of Asian and Jewish heritage whose
families "forbid" their children to marry outside their culture/religion (or
at least strongly discourage by way of disowning)

Just a couple passing thoughts on an age old question...

               John