 Off-Topic / Debate / 10124
Re: Inter-racial, Inter-religious, Inter-national relationships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 23:02:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:
...I'd be intereted to hear what people's opinions about inter-racial
(inter-ethnic?), inter-religious and inter-national (i.e. people from
different countries) relationships. With today's internet as well as
world-wide transportation, I'm assuming these are much more common than a
hundred and prolly even fifty or twenty years ago. Some people feel it's
fine and great, other disagree for traditional or other reasons.

What about you?

Whatever floats your boat. :)

Put another way, I'm of the strong opinion that it's generally nobodies
business how a relationship works except the people involved(1).

Compatability is a funny thing, and various factors like religion, culture
and so forth will obviously play a part in that, but in general, the culture
in most 1st-world countries is becoming more tolerant, so the differences in
religion & such are less important in general, so they play a lesser role in
that compatability than they have in the past.

The distance thing is a different issue, and in my experience, it takes a
fairly strong relationship (of any degree, friendship, marriage,
what-have-you) to overcome the strain of long distance.  It also requires
work from both ends.  It's much easier now than it used to be, but its still
a trial.

There's a whole lot more than can be said on both topics, like you
mentioned... you aren't big on the easy question, are ya?  ;)

James

1:Which isn't always necessarily just the obvious people.