 Off-Topic / Debate / 10138
Re: Inter-racial, Inter-religious, Inter-national relationships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 06:43:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jorge Rodriguez writes:
I don't agree that the US is a melting pot. A melting pot suggests no
divisions and we know that is not the case. The US is more like a
salad. You can still pick out the individual pieces in the bowl.

I tend to agree.  It is very hard to maintain an identity in more than one race
or culture.  My observation is that children with parents of different races
often end up identifying with one race over the other(s), but not without a
feeling that they are being forced to compromise their identities.

The next step would be a Lego set in that all the pieces form a larger
entity and then it would finally melt into one.

Hey, stay off topic, wouldja?

Maggie C. (whose parents are of different races BTW)