 Off-Topic / Debate / 10231
Re: Inter-racial, Inter-religious, Inter-national relationships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2001 15:49:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:

I don't call that progress, I call that moving BACKWARDS.  The question simply
shouldn't be there AT ALL.

I agree. We leave it blank (along with a lot of other stuff like how many
bathrooms we have and other marketing research kind of stuff...) on the
census form. This has earned us a followup visit the last two times.

   Say what one will about the challenges and problems now
   facing South Africa, but they knew that the very first
   thing they needed to do with the 1996 census was *eliminate*
   any category of race or ethnicity on the forms.  Granted,
   they're much more sensitive to it than we are, but the
   prescription isn't all *that* different.

   As I'm technically a member of another person's household,
   I don't get to fill in my own census form--but historically
   we haven't been willing to answer those questions either.
   Good luck if they want to follow up, seeing as how we're
   never home...:)

   best

   LFB