 Off-Topic / Debate / 10128
Re: Inter-racial, Inter-religious, Inter-national relationships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 00:08:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
Put another way, I'm of the strong opinion that it's generally nobodies
business how a relationship works except the people involved(1).

<<cut comment and paste>>

1:Which isn't always necessarily just the obvious people.

<nod> The question is, who are the people involved? You say, *not* just the
two people in the relationship, right? Who is also included? Parents of the
two? Friends? Family? etc. Who in your opinion should be involved?

No easy answer, I'm afraid.  Any relationship is a complex beast, from a
potential lifemate right down to the stranger you get along with at a party.

The strongest influence on a relationship is going to be the people
involved, but right up there is other strong relationships the people
involed have, and on from there are other relationships you have, *and*
relationships farther down the tree.

Everyone juggles their relationships based on a huge number of factors, many
of them unconscious or habitual, and there's no hard & fast rules or metric
that they can be checked against.  Relationships are as unique as people,
maybe moreso.

All of that being said, it can boil down to just the people directly
involved, but there's a trade-off in other relationships that this one
touches, and those trade-offs can and will affect those other relationships,
sometimes a whole lot.  It comes down to juggling again.  Is this
relationship important enough to risk these relationships?  What will doing
this do to those relationships, and so on.

Compatability is a funny thing, and various factors like religion, culture
and so forth will obviously play a part in that, but in general, the culture
in most 1st-world countries is becoming more tolerant, so the differences in
religion & such are less important in general, so they play a lesser role in
that compatability than they have in the past.

<shrug> *Becoming* more tolerant is still quite a far way off from *being*
tolerant, IYKWIM.

Yup, and like with any blanket statement, some parts are covered twice, and
some bits stick out the sides.

There's a whole lot more than can be said on both topics, like you
mentioned... you aren't big on the easy question, are ya?  ;)

Heh. Wish I had easy questions to ask you... wish I was asked easy questions
myself. I've got a bunch of physics problems to solve, but I wouldn't
consider those easy either! ;-)

A friend of mine is a (insert gobble-de-gook) physicist, and about the
smartest guy I know.  I could forward them to him, and at least someone
would have some easy questions... :D

James