 Off-Topic / Debate / 10216
Re: Inter-racial, Inter-religious, Inter-national relationships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 21:49:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:
...I'd be intereted to hear what people's opinions about inter-racial
(inter-ethnic?), inter-religious and inter-national (i.e. people from
different countries) relationships. With today's internet as well as
world-wide transportation, I'm assuming these are much more common than a
hundred and prolly even fifty or twenty years ago. Some people feel it's
fine and great, other disagree for traditional or other reasons.

What about you?

-Shiri (who could write for hours about this, but will first wait for response)

They have extra added baggage, some of it silly, some of it serious
(inter-religious and kids, for example).  Friends' disapproval will require
you to be prepared to win them over or jettison your friends or your love
interest.  Parental disapproval can make things tough (it's harder to
jettison them <g>).  Getting stared in public may be something you have to
get used to if it's inter-racial.  Two strongly held religions (especially
if trained in traditional mutual animosity) is a tough combination.

All these things can be overcome.  But realistically, they are just one more
thing to trip over.  An understanding and supportive family that respect
your decisions is the best thing to have in these kind of situations.

Bruce