 Off-Topic / Debate / 10218
Re: Inter-racial, Inter-religious, Inter-national relationships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2001 01:54:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Maggie Cambron writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jorge Rodriguez writes:
I don't agree that the US is a melting pot. A melting pot suggests no
divisions and we know that is not the case. The US is more like a
salad. You can still pick out the individual pieces in the bowl.

I tend to agree.  It is very hard to maintain an identity in more than one
race or culture.  My observation is that children with parents of different
races often end up identifying with one race over the other(s), but not
without a feeling that they are being forced to compromise their identities.

Society does it's best to enforce that outcome - I always get steamed when
my son comes home from school with one of those "mark only one" forms under
"race" (I always disobey the rule and point out to my son why I'm doing it).
At least the national census finally had a "multi-racial" choice.

Oops, did I just give away that mine is an inter-racial marriage?  :-)

We've been doing standardized testing for the past couple of weeks here in
California, and I noticed on the form the students had to fill out that there
are now two complete sections provided for the students to indicate their race
or ethnicity-- the first one is for the race/ethnicity with which they most
identify, and the second is a place to indicate any other if applicable.  So
progress IS slowly being made.

Maggie