 Off-Topic / Debate / 10232
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2001 16:08:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:

Simple question: Why do you take the side of the oppressor? Divorce that
from the context too.

Three part answer:
- I'm not taking sides when I say one side is worse than the other... we are
talking shades of black, after all, not black vs. white.
- Oppressor is such a loaded word, really. You haven't demonstrated that
either side in this instance is an "oppressor" to my satisfaction.
"oppressor" requires an egregious preponderance of firepower against an
essentially unarmed foe.

Wrong:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=oppress*1+0

Thanks for the cite... I like my defnition better since I did say it was "to
my satisfaction".

However under yours: "to govern (people) in an unfair and cruel way and
prevent them from having opportunities and freedom" I don't see that being
the case with the Israeli governance.

Have you shown us yet how the PLO are "far worse"? I think not.

Don't intend to try to convince you as you have never ever demonstrated the
ability to think critically in debates here.

You've bought into your comfortable view which makes the whole mess the
fault of the Israelis (and none of it the fault of the UK who originally set
up the Palestinian state (now Jordan... remember Jordan??? THAT'S the
Palestinian homeland according to your diplomats) and the Israeli state) and
you are unlikely to admit it's the UK's fault or change your mind about
ANYTHING no matter what I say.

So why bother trying?

It's pointless, the whole matter, really. Both sides are bad, neither side
wants peace, neither side sticks to agreements, both sides initiate force
inappropriately, both sides can be perceived as terrorists depending on
context. It's just that the PLO (and their far more violent "allies" like
Hezbollah) are more blatant about it, they don't even pretend to acknowledge
that the other side may have some merit in its claims.

Which is blacker? A lump of coal deep inside a dark coal mine or a pool of
crudeoil at the very bottom of a long and twisty pit at midnite on a
moonless nite? What does it matter? Who cares? Not me.

++Lar