 Off-Topic / Debate / 10259
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 14:21:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

Unfortunately, those who gain power by being in
control of a centralized military have convinced most of the US to
accept that a "professional" military (and police) is necessary, and
that common citizens can't be trusted with weapons.

I know many people who shouldn't be trusted with weapons, and most of them
aren't police.  However, you've hit on an important point, regarding both
the necessity of a professional military and the difficulty of reducing it.
No one with a stake in national sovereignty (ie: everyone) wants to disband
the standing protective force against external incursions.  No one, in
short, wants to be the first to throw down his military, because there's no
way to ensure that one's opponent won't immediately take advantage.

    Dave!

The people who least want to see a reduction in the military are those who
make the weapons. Take a look how much the companies who will work on Son of
Star Wars gave Dubya for his election.

Scott A