 Marketplace / Shopping / 6504
  AFOLs as cheapskates

When was the last time you bought a new set at regular price? When LEGO comes out with good stuff, do you think "I can't wait for the clearance sale!" -- but you wait, hoping to make a killing? Should LEGO pay attention to the AFOL market share when (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) The only time I ever pay full price for LEGO is when I order something through S@H that I know I cannot get anywhere else (or if I buy something that you can't get anymore from a private party). Otherwise I am terribly cheap and sometimes even (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) Do the Droid Developer Set's count ? WM has them at $24.97 (regular price) even tho they used to be $99 elsewhere. I'm scanning back thru my inventory now. Probably the last time was almost a year ago. I bought a Roadblock Runners at a far (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) Well in the Netherlands you're usually lucky to find anything marked down more than 10%. So I use lots of discount coupons, and try to buy bulk to get more discount... doesn't always work though :-( (...) Depends.. if it's really cool I'll buy (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) I had these thoughts as I went out to Target yesterday to eat the dead things on the bottom of the fish tank. Target in Queens, NY is New-York-speed. Nothing gets to stay around too long. I first loaded up with 2001 sets. Sure, no clearance (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) It must be nice to live in an area which gets much clearance at all. If I waited for 50% off sales or better, my collection would be pretty small, and would have very weird gaps. I buy most of my sets at 25% off (K-Mart BOG 50% sales - which (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) The last (and one of the few - maybe 1 or 2) time I did this was a couple months ago when I was late for dinner with some friends and remembered that one of their daughters had a birthday the next day. I snagged a Duplo set off the shelf at (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) It's funny, one local Target (Fairfield, California) had the 5978's at $15.74 also. Yours was the only other one I heard of that did that (I remember when you posted about it). I also bought several. I have found some real finds (e.g., (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

I honestly cannot remember the last time I purchased any Lego at full retail. I find that if I wait long enough, i get everything that I want at a price that is actually affordable. And if you watch the sales and stuff closely, you don't even always (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) One serious factor for me is that if I waited until I could get sets at 50% or better discount, I wouldn't be doing very much with pirates (I've bought two Crocodile Cages at clearance an that's it). I also probably wouldn't have that much of (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) Lets see, hmm, last friday night. But it WAS at the LIC on a discontinued Paradisa set :^) I have bought some of the new SW sets already as well as some LOM sets, I also got a bunch of 'my' theme castle sets at regular price, missed them (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) This actually is normal for Target and some other retailers, selection expands for the Christmas/Holiday Season then shrinks the rest of the year, numerous sets disappear for the warmer months (ya I know how cold it is outside ATM :^) Then (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) Why is that. When I go into a WM and buy something at 60-70% off retail, I doubt that TLC even knows it happens. The store manager might know it happens (esp if he sees me wheeling a buggy full of clearanced sets towards the register). The (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

You have seen the MASSIVE discounts on some of the Pooh sets on Etoys, right? If I could stomach Duplo, I'd buy some. (...) -- Tom Stangl ***(URL) Visual FAQ home ***(URL) Bay Area DSMs (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) That may well be true. On the other hand, if Wal-Mart doesn't sell the sets at full price, and they have to clearance them out, then they will probably order less from LEGO next time around, and LEGO makes less anyway. J (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) Right, but that's not our fault. If the sets don't sell they don't sell. If they're crap and they don't sell at full price (ala Rock Raiders) then Wal-Mart might order less next time around anyway. The fact that we might pick them up at 50-75% (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) Wow, am I the only idiot who goes out and buys sets at full price? Whenever a cool set comes out, I always buy 1 or 2 of 'em just 'cause they're cool-- I don't wait for sales, really... but I hardly ever 'stock up' on sets unless they're on (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) Well, you're not an idiot, of course. Maybe a little unthrifty, but not an idiot. :) (...) No, I'm sure a lot of AFOL's do. But I don't. I rarely pay full price for anything. I don't make enough money to feel comfortable buying much that isn't (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) OK Dave, you get a "Brave Shopper" card to carry now. You know, those were sets I bought at regular price too.. (maybe some new Treasury at a Kohl's 20% sale, which is really like 15% off MSRP.) Also Desert Skiff, Droid Fighter, Pontoon Plane, (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) Nope. :) If I see something that I like, I'll typically buy one off the shelf, at whatever the price happens to be. About half the time that's 15% off, but that's because I do more shopping when Zeller's does their monthly sale, not because I (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) That about sums up my shopping strategy too. For example, I've wound up with the smaller Life on Mars alien stuff on more or less impulse, but I'm waiting for a sale before I go for the big tan four-legged one. I'm also waiting for a sale to (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) Right. But if they're not crap, I for example am not going to say, "Well, I'm not going to buy that just because it's not 50/75/whatever% off." If I like a set - or even the parts - enough, I feel no qualms about paying full (or nearly full) (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) Oh yeah. I forgot my original point, which was in reference to "should LEGO pay attention to us". The answer is: if we're only buying clearance sets, then no, because if that's the case, then we're obviously not the ones that LEGO is trying (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) Not at all. When the new sets for the year come out, I tend to buy them at full price. In recent memory, I have bought the following at full price: *All the Star Wars System sets to date *All the LoM sets (except the big base) *All the (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) Yes... Yes you are... ;-). Just kidding of course although in the last year I have become extremely stingy. I think thats for a number of reasons. 1. Since the baby came I just don't shop very much any more. 2. Since the baby came my building (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

"Jeff Johnston" <sakura@mediaone.net> wrote in message news:3A62FB37.367D18...one.net... (...) but (...) not (...) sale, (...) Locally (...) I'll shop (...) with the (...) for a (...) sale to (...) I also (...) Droid (...) parts (...) My shopping (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) This week via proxy, Shell set 1254 x 4. (...) Of course! I might be willing to buy some smaller or reasonably priced (a dime a brick or less) sets at full price, but if I want more than one of the set I will try to wait for at least a BOGO (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) I hear you. I just usually don't buy like that. I'm not a SW fan at all, so while I can look at the SW sets (some of them) and recognize that they work better as models than a lot of other sets Lego releases, I still don't buy them thinking "I (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) Regular sets? Other than my first post-darkage sets XW and Snow Speeder, nothing. Rare, discontinued and promotional sets are different stories. (...) Well up here in Canada, Bay always has at least 10% off all toys every weekend, and Zellers (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) It also silences the "I told myself I wasn't going to buy any more LEGO until I sorted all the ones I have!" voice. eric (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) Gosh that sounds familiar. :) Tricky to work on building or sorting when you've got a baby that needs to be walked around. ;) James (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) Gee... might that have anything to do with the fact that we are AFOLs 24/7, while many of the TLC people are 8-5 employees 5 days a week ? Ray (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) I very rarely by Lego at retail, the Speeder Bikes was the last one I did, because I know that I can get at least %20-%25 percent off on almost a monthly basis. Target, Shopko, K-Mart, FredMeyer rountinely have such sales, but these may (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) It's continually amazing to me that they hire people who care not one whit about the brick or what it means to people. ~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

With the exception of course of me, Brad, Tomas, and others, of course.... Jake (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) It doesn't amaze me. I would guess that many if not most employees are somewhat ambivalent about their employers goods. (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) Likewise here. Especially on teenager "salary" (very undependable) I can barely afford anything for full price. Lately I've even started selling parts to defray costs. I try to buy 50% if I can; and, if I were given the option, I'd buy only (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) There are always exceptions. Was it an AFOL who was responsible for Juniorization? ~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

"Lorbaat" <eric@nospam.thirteen.net> wrote in message news:G77t3w.F93@lugnet.com... (...) [ ... snipped ... ] (...) until I (...) I feel guilty about this all of the time. I only sorted/parted out about half of what I bought from Tuesday Morning (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) And almost me... Ben Gatrelle (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

Yes, the promo sets like shell you have to get at full price, but the shell sets are soooo cheap. Lego does offer the small sets like the shell does - but they charge $3.99 for them. I love the fact that the small shell sets were like $1.60 - I WISH (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  TLC hiring fans (was: Re: AFOLs as cheapskates)

(...) Well, I can only speak from my own experience, but I'd like you to know that of the employees I've met, or worked with, all cared at least a bit. Some care quite a lot, and they even work in areas which can be influential in future product (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.lego, lugnet.general)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) In any company there are always some persons whose caring and concern goes beyond the paycheck. If a large enough percentage care, then you may have a great company. I believe that the early days at Apple were like that (possibly are again). (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) There are people at every company that do not care about the products/services they produce, and they tend not to stay around too long. Most of the LEGO employees I have met or coresponded with have a good appreciation for their product and (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) No, Yes, and I'm looking. :^) (...) Me too. ~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) It's a lot like some other hobbies that way. Today, I went out to my TRU to "help with the Lego shelves" but it had gone from bad to worse. They got 2001 sets. There was no place to put all of them, so sets were either crammed into the nooks (...) (24 years ago, 16-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) Er, last week. (...) Bottom feeders? I owe Lego *nothing.* I work for a living. I pay my bills. I pay my taxes. I pay my tuition out of my own pocket. Forgive me for not handing over my wallet to Billund. Free market economy. Plain and simple. (...) (24 years ago, 16-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) That's not really the point, I don't think. It's not that you OWE them anything-- BUT, does Lego OWE *US* anything? If we take the stance that we won't buy junky sets, that's fine. But Lego might go out of business entirely. And if we want (...) (24 years ago, 16-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

I've actually almost lost interest in _sets_ as such, since there's been so little decent mid-range Technic for a couple of years. Almost all the Lego I buy for myself (as opposed to what I buy for my children) is intended to swell the parts (...) (24 years ago, 17-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

David Eaton wrote: <snip> (...) What happens next??? I think we have already seen what is happening next, and the time is soon approaching when the we will have to put up or shut up. First off, I don't begrudge TLC for creating sets such as (...) (24 years ago, 17-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: AFOLs as cheapskates

(...) We've no guarantee that the company will last forever. Our emotional investment in the product is a chance that we take in our hobby. But, it would be foolishness if I squandered my budget by making purchases, in part, to buck up the company. (...) (24 years ago, 17-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping)