 Marketplace / Shopping / 6526
Re: AFOLs as cheapskates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 06:20:26 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Erik Olson writes:
When was the last time you bought a new set at regular price?

When LEGO comes out with good stuff, do you think "I can't wait
for the clearance sale!" -- but you wait, hoping to make a killing?

Should LEGO pay attention to the AFOL market share when we are
such bottom feeders?

Wow, am I the only idiot who goes out and buys sets at full price? Whenever
a cool set comes out, I always buy 1 or 2 of 'em just 'cause they're cool--
I don't wait for sales, really... but I hardly ever 'stock up' on sets
unless they're on sale-- exceptions being the Guarded Treasury, Droid
Escape, Speeder Bikes and the Defense Archer...

But I do buy stuff for regular price... Am I one of the only ones?

Nope. :)

If I see something that I like, I'll typically buy one off the shelf, at
whatever the price happens to be.  About half the time that's 15% off, but
that's because I do more shopping when Zeller's does their monthly sale, not
because I particularly care.

If I see a set that looks interesting, but is expensive, I'll wait for a sale,
but I can't rely on seeing any given set at more than 20% off, ever.  Locally
(and in most of Canada, as far as I can tell) we don't get the huge
126% off clearance sales that seem to sweep the US on a weekly basis. ;)

If I'm buying repeat copies of something to break up for parts, then I'll shop
around until there's a bargain.

James