 Marketplace / Shopping / 6534
Re: AFOLs as cheapskates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 16:54:59 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Jeff Johnston writes:
Right.  But if they're not crap, I for example am not going to say, "Well, I'm
not going to buy that just because it's not 50/75/whatever% off."  If I like a
set  - or even the parts - enough, I feel no qualms about paying full (or >nearly full) price for it, and I consider it 'voting with my dollar' to >encourage LEGO to produce more sets of that type (and encourage the store to >continue carrying LEGO stuff).

I hear you.  I just usually don't buy like that.  I'm not a SW fan at all,
so while I can look at the SW sets (some of them) and recognize that they
work better as models than a lot of other sets Lego releases, I still don't
buy them thinking "I need this X-wing."  I buy them thinking "I want this
part and this part and I think I can more than make my money back on selling
the rest, so it is a good deal.

I used to buy only at 50% off or so and I made a killing on parts sales -
got the parts I wanted and more than made my money back.  With all the
competition (both from other AFOLs and from Lego itself) it is becoming
harder and harder to more than make my money back, so whatever I buy has to
a) have parts I really want and b) be on steep clearance.

Rachael likes the newer castle stuff (compared to the Ninja and FK stuff
anyway) so we're likely going to end up buying some of those sets at prices
higher than half off, and we'll actually buy them to keep, but they're more
for her than for me.  I look at just about any set and see so much junk I'm
not interested in, so paying full price for it seems unthinkable.

Does that make sense?

Certainly does, just not my cup of tea.