 Marketplace / Shopping / 6532
Re: AFOLs as cheapskates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 16:11:18 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Erik Olson writes:
When was the last time you bought a new set at regular price?

This week via proxy, Shell set 1254 x 4.

When LEGO comes out with good stuff, do you think "I can't wait
for the clearance sale!" -- but you wait, hoping to make a killing?

Of course!  I might be willing to buy some smaller or reasonably priced (a
dime a brick or less) sets at full price, but if I want more than one of the
set I will try to wait for at least a BOGO 50% sale.  Some sets only appeal
to me if they are on sale because the set is either crazy overpriced (more
than 20 cents a brick) or just full of crappy designs (KK comes to mind).

Example: It occurs that I want the black 4x4 quarter rounds from the 1352
Exploding Studio set.  I need 14 more of them for a project, that's 7 more
of these sets that I need to acquire.  I can use, but don't necessarily
want, 40% of the elements in this set -- I really want just the two black
quarter rounds. $35, for what to me amounts to 92 usable elements or so,
equals approx. 38 cents a brick!  If I am honest with myself I am actually
going to end up buying these stupid sets primarily for JUST those 2 black
quarter round elements!  That's a crazy price for the 2 elements no matter
what deal I ultimately get on the sets!

I want to build with lego because it's fun and quick and I can do it
sometimes when I am tired of staring at my computer monitor.  It's not the
case that I don't have other hobbies, because I do.  What's more, I am a
traditional artist also occasionally working on drawings, sculptures in wood
and alabaster, etc.  I like Legos, but I don't want to have to pay through
the nose for it.

Then again, I guess it's cheaper than paying for therapy sessions with
someone who probably knows little more about life than myself -- and if they
ain't talking something like B.F. Skinner, then their theories aren't very
scientifically robust either.

Should LEGO pay attention to the AFOL market share when we are
such bottom feeders?

I object to being characterized as a bottom feeder, the reality is that when
I want an element I will pay serious money for what is ultimately some silly
piece of easily damaged plastic.  When it comes to buying these "parts
packs" (e.g. TLC designed sets), I have to consider the actual utility I
will achieve in acquiring the set, and often that utility is not exactly a
bargain -- not by a long shot.  No matter what the deal ultimately was, I
probably paid a heck of a lot for what I actually wanted.

And yes, TLC should listen to us.  First off, we are free market research if
nothing else.  Second, many of us have been buying Lego intermittently all
of our lives!  I think customer loyalty should equal some consideration in
terms of set design and bulk element availability.  This second point is no
small matter -- it means that we put our money where our mouths are -- we
actually BUY the products that TLC merely SELLS!  And there is more...

It is often asserted that we AFOL are not the target market of the products
TLC sells.  I think AFOL are very much the target audience of TLC's
products.  Here is my analogy:

Cats don't buy cat food, people buy cat food.  Cats like to eat mashed up
mouse bits (yum), and they'd buy them in a can if they could make purchases
on their own, but they can't.  People think cats should eat stuff that looks
like slices of roast beef in gravy, or fish mousse in aspic.  So what do you
find in the stores as cat food?  That's right!  The sellers of cat food
market/advertise to the actual buyers of the cat food -- people, usually
adults -- and NOT to the cats themselves (who are the ultimate consumers of
the product)!!!

So if you connect the dots, you will discover that children do not buy a lot
of Lego products.  They must convince their adult parents to do so for them.
If the parent does not see the utility or *coolness* factor of the product,
they won't buy diddly.  You must market/advertise the product to adults if
want to make sales.

And TLC has another problem: the toy is not cheap!  One Lego set by itself
isn't very interesting, to really start letting your imagination run wild
with Lego blocks it takes thousands of dollars.  Don't we all know that this
is a fact?  I think one of the problems TLC faces is that people are just
not that stupid -- they can see that if you buy one, you end up buying them
all.  And most adults see that and just will NOT assume the expense!  I see
it in the stores all the time.  The only thing that motivates some adult
buyers is the sale at deep discount.  When I am in the stores, I try
pointing out the good deals to people and the adults are usually
surprisingly grateful -- like some great weight has suddenly been lifted
from them!  Cost matters...

TLC ignores us at their peril.  Thankfully, I have the idea that have
started to pay attention to those of us who probably know their product
better than they do.

-- Richard