 Marketplace / Shopping / 6565
Re: AFOLs as cheapskates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:28:47 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, James Simpson writes:
Bottom feeders?  I owe Lego *nothing.*  I work for a living.  I pay my
bills.  I pay my taxes.  I pay my tuition out of my own pocket.  Forgive me
for not handing over my wallet to Billund.  Free market economy.  Plain and
simple.

That's not really the point, I don't think. It's not that you OWE them
anything-- BUT, does Lego OWE *US* anything? If we take the stance that we
won't buy junky sets, that's fine. But Lego might go out of business
entirely. And if we want GOOD sets, will we be willing to pay for them? The
point was that it seems (to some-- not really to me) that lots of people
won't even buy GOOD sets for regular prices-- they'll just wait for sales.
And as such, should Lego cater to our desires? I.E. Do they owe US anything
if we cop out and ONLY buy cheap sets? Interesting debate certainly, but I
don't think that the question is what do WE owe to Lego... it's what does
Lego owe to US?

Lego gets a cut of my take-home pay when the company offers a product
at a price that I want, and at a price that I'm willing to pay.  It's Lego's
fault that so many 1997 - 2000 sets disgrace the clearance aisle.  When Lego
offers a good product at a reasonable price, chances are I'll buy it without
waiting for a sale. I did this for most of my SW sets.  Quality product,
reasonable price.

Ditto. I don't wait for sales on good stuff. But some do. And the question
is, what type are you, and what type do you think MOST AFOLs are? And as a
result, whom do you think Lego should cater to? AFOLs who pay for sale
prices or parents who pay full price? Or do you think most AFOLs DO pay full
price, hence deserving market representation?

I'd wager that most of us AFOLs are fairly astute in the
clearance section because we recognize that many, many Lego products are over-
priced or don't give enough bang for the buck, so to speak.  It's the
company's own fault that it has come to all this, and I suspect that a lot of
retail stores are tiring of having so many sets sit idle on the shelves.

I agree 100%. I see Hydronaut sets, Insectoid sets, etc for 50% off and I
STILL hesitate to buy them. Actually, I just plain don't. And I hope parents
do the same thing for their kids-- because if we all DO follow that model,
I'd hope that Lego WILL owe us something: better sets. Will they heed the
call in time? They've made it clear that they've heard it, now the ball's in
their court. What happens next, who knows? We can only hope for the best...

DaveE