 Marketplace / Shopping / 6549
Re: AFOLs as cheapskates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 20:19:56 GMT

Yes, the promo sets like shell you have to get at full price, but the shell
sets are soooo cheap.  Lego does offer the small sets like the shell does -
but they charge $3.99 for them.  I love the fact that the small shell sets
were like $1.60 - I WISH they were the same price in TRU or Target.

I'll buy older or promotional sets at full price when I find them.  I'll buy
new sets at full price if they interest me for some particular reason
(either as a set or for parts).  This is particularly true for smaller sets
like the Movie Maker dinosaur head and Inidiana Jones (not sure of the name
but the set has two of the 1x8 plate with the rail) set and the Droid Escape
set.  Larger sets I tend to wait until I find them on sale.  I waited to buy
a UCS X-Wing until Wal-Mart.com had them for 50% off.  The most I have paid
for a 4561 train set is $77.  Since my interests are pretty much limited to
Town and Train I am finding that the majority of my LEGO money is going to
secondary market parts sales.

Which leads me to my next point, if LEGO had a slew of sets the size of the
small Shell Promo sets, I'd buy them all the time.  I wouldn't think twice
about tossing a couple in the cart every time I go to Wal-Mart or Target (or
to the grocery store or gas station for that matter).  Impulse buys are
perfect market for LEGO (IMHO).  Everytime I bought gas these last couple of
months I bought two or three of the small Shell sets.  I don't even know how
many I have but I'd bet close to 50 or 60 of the small ones.  At $1.50 a pop
they are in the same price range as a soda and a candy bar and whole lot
more healthy!  I doubt I would have gone out shopping for a $75 LEGO set at
MSRP.

http://www.nclug.net - North Carolina LEGO Users Group
http://www.nclug.net/ctb - Carolina Train Builders
http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?u=mpw - Brick Depot