 Marketplace / Shopping / 6569
Re: AFOLs as cheapskates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 04:18:54 GMT

David Eaton wrote:

<snip>

I'd wager that most of us AFOLs are fairly astute in the
clearance section because we recognize that many, many Lego products are over-
priced or don't give enough bang for the buck, so to speak.  It's the
company's own fault that it has come to all this, and I suspect that a lot of
retail stores are tiring of having so many sets sit idle on the shelves.

I agree 100%. I see Hydronaut sets, Insectoid sets, etc for 50% off and I
STILL hesitate to buy them. Actually, I just plain don't. And I hope parents
do the same thing for their kids-- because if we all DO follow that model,
I'd hope that Lego WILL owe us something: better sets. Will they heed the
call in time? They've made it clear that they've heard it, now the ball's in
their court. What happens next, who knows? We can only hope for the best...

What happens next???  I think we have already seen what is happening next, and the
time is soon approaching when the we will have to put up or shut up.  First off, I
don't begrudge TLC for creating sets such as Insectoids, Throwbots, and their ilk
which I, BTW, consider almost totally unusable.  Those sets are targeted at a much
younger crowd, perhaps first-time LEGO buyers.  That is how they have decided to
hook this younger generation.  And frankly, what hooked us all 10, 20,30 odd years
ago would be totally ignored by today's kids.  That's a sad fact of life.  So
everyone please stop complaining about set quality.  I don't hear anyone
complaining about Duplo quality, and why is that?  Because Duplo is for young kids
and not adults.  Perhaps it might be easier to think of new themes, not in terms
of "town junior", but in terms of "Duplo senior".

*This* is what is happening next: LEGO Direct. *Here* is a marketing strategy
geared, uh, directly at AFOLS and advanced builders.  No pretty packaging, no
instructions, no frills-- and probably *no* sales.  The prices of the first wave
of bulk bricks are not exactly what we all had in mind, but we are starting to get
what we all dreamed of-- bulk parts.  Will we now buy these parts, even though
they may be permanently at a retail level?  I really wonder.  And if not, then
perhaps AFOLS really *are* cheapskates, wanting their cake and eating it, too.

-John
FUT .general and .lego.direct

DaveE