 Marketplace / Shopping / 6564
Re: AFOLs as cheapskates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:10:42 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Erik Olson writes:
When was the last time you bought a new set at regular price?

Er, last week.

When LEGO comes out with good stuff, do you think "I can't wait
for the clearance sale!" -- but you wait, hoping to make a killing?

Should LEGO pay attention to the AFOL market share when we are
such bottom feeders?

Bottom feeders?  I owe Lego *nothing.*  I work for a living.  I pay my bills.  I
pay my taxes.  I pay my tuition out of my own pocket.  Forgive me for not
handing over my wallet to Billund.  Free market economy.  Plain and simple.
Lego gets a cut of my take-home pay when the company offers a product at a price
that I want, and at a price that I'm willing to pay.  It's Lego's fault that so
many 1997 - 2000 sets disgrace the clearance aisle.  When Lego offers a good
product at a reasonable price, chances are I'll buy it without waiting for a
sale.  I did this for most of my SW sets.  Quality product, reasonable price.
I'd wager that most of us AFOLs are fairly astute in the clearance section
because we recognize that many, many Lego products are over-priced or don't give
enough bang for the buck, so to speak.  It's the company's own fault that it has
come to all this, and I suspect that a lot of retail stores are tiring of having
so many sets sit idle on the shelves.