 Marketplace / Shopping / 6513
Re: AFOLs as cheapskates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 23:57:21 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Frank Filz writes:

It must be nice to live in an area which gets much clearance at all. If
I waited for 50% off sales or better, my collection would be pretty
small, and would have very weird gaps. I buy most of my sets at 25% off
(K-Mart BOG 50% sales - which are the only real reliable source of
discount LEGO here). This year I did to better at Target. Last year I
got almost nothing after Christmas, though in the past two years I have
scored sets here and there (and then there was the 5978 which I saw a
clearance sticker during a summer clearance, but no sets. Then, in the
fall, it re-appeared on the shelf, with a regular price of the last step
clearance of $15.74, I bought 10 or 12 at that price, and Mike Walsh
also bought a bunch at that price - they kept re-filling the shelves!).
This year I managed to get a stack of stuff at 50% from Target. The bulk
of my clearance stuff though comes from the web deals.

It's funny, one local Target (Fairfield, California) had the 5978's at $15.74
also.  Yours was the only other one I heard of that did that (I remember when
you posted about it).  I also bought several.  I have found some real finds
(e.g., Interstellar Starfighter for $10.90 at a TRU in Sacramento), but they
are not sets that appeal to me at all so I have either had to give them to my
kids or pass them along to a fellow AFOL who would get better use out of the
parts.  And I do have weird gaps in my collection!

Maggie C.

It would be interesting to see the average markdown of all AFOLs (take
what we all spend per year on LEGO and divide by the sum of all the list
prices). I bet it's no more than 20-30% off, if even that much.

Frank