 Local / United States / Utah / 20
Re: Utah Legomaniacs Get Together
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ut, lugnet.org.us
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 16:10:51 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.loc.us.ut, Jeremy Sproat writes:
We're playing with WALUG, for Wasatch Area LUG.
(curiousity! :)  What exactly is "Wasatch"?  Is it a part of Utah, or does
it go beyond Utah?

The Wasatch Front is the Rocky Mountain range that runs along the eastern
side of Salt Lake Valley.  It's pretty much a Utah thing.  :-,

What do the Linux LUGs in Utah call themselves?

Not sure.  Everyone I've ever met here is pretty much a Win32 bigot.  >:-P
Linux.org (1) offers these names:

- Club Linux (Cedar City, UT)
- Provo Linux User Group (Provo, UT)
- BYU Unix Users Group (Provo, UT)
- Salt Lake Linux User Group (Salt Lake City, UT)

Quick analysis:

- two LUGs
- one refers to a city, one refers to a university, and one refers to a
geographic region
- one forms a pronouncable acronym

I'd see WA, by the way, and immediately think Washington (as in state and
apples), but maybe that's just me.

Well...I like the Wasatch Area, myself.  :-,  I'm not willing to get into a
pissing match over the name, but if we use WA first, then the Washintonians
are SOL.

Say, have you considered UTLUG (as in "UT" being the postal abbreviation for
Utah) or WULUG (Wasatch-Utah) or GWLUG (Greater Wasatch) or GULUG (Greater
Utah)...?

We have GULAG (Greater Utah Lego Admirers Group) on the list; these others
are good too.

...UTLUG sounds kinda Neandrethal, hmmm...

I think, though, that the
best one is WAFOL, or Wasatch Area Fans Of Lego.  It has a nice breakfast-y
ring to it...  :-,
LOL!  :)  For some reason I read that as "AWOL" with an "F" hidden in there
somewhere.  :)

It's a many-splendored name.  :-,

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  http://www.linux.org/users/groups/usa/utah.html

"I've spent the past few years building up an immunity to bullets."
- Angus McGuire