 Off-Topic / Fun / 2927
Re: Ender's Game ( was: Re: Dragon magazine comics)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 14:03:29 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <37E8C910.60366C1E@voyager.net>...
<snip>
Cool. I was sure the 4th book was about all that could be done there, I
was thinking Card had pretty much mined out that theme.

Does it suffer from the run-on tendency that recent Card works seem to
exhibit? It's like, "Orson, get to the point! I'd pay just as much for a
shorter book."

<snip>

Run on tendency? Hmmm.  I'm not really sure what you mean, but I haven't
read very many of his recent books.  I have read some of his "Tales of Alvin
Maker" books, and I guess I can see some of what you are saying in them.  I
was hoping that "Ender's Shadow" was the book that follows "Children of the
Mind", but it is not.  It is actually the story of Bean, one of Ender's best
generals, and the book takes place at about the same time as "Ender's Game".
Card wrote in the preface that it was a challenge to tell some of the same
events from a different perspective.  I'd have to say that I enjoyed
"Ender's Shadow", but it was not quite as enjoyable as "Ender's Game".

I was actually hoping for a sequel to "Children of the Mind".  I'd like to
see his take on the race that created the Descolada.  And I'd like to see if
he makes them out to be varelese or raman also.  (  <-- this is a test to
see how many people have a head for generally interesting, but useless
facts, like me :-)  )

Yikes.  Flashback.  I feel like I wrote a fourth grade book report.  Too bad
the books I was reading back then were so dull. ( at least as far as I
recall )

-Andy Lynch