 Local / United States / Utah / 5
4  |  6
Subject:
to GULP or not to GULP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ut
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 21:30:02 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ut, Jeremy Sproat writes:
Greater Utah Lego Admirers Group -- GULAG, representing the state of the
Lego market in Utah

luckily i was not drinking anything or i would have spewed...yuk, yuk

Deseret Region Online Lego Lovers -- DROLL

i still like gulp the best but DROLL is definitely the runner up

What would the benefits of membership be?  I'd recommend at least regular
meetings to share ideas and models and catalogs and lime Jell-o.  Perhaps
also, something like a newsletter with shopping hints and building ideas for
proto-Legomaniacs to snarf.  With a Web site for the club, non-Internetters
could publish their Lego models.

all excellent ideas!
regular meetings is a definite.
a newsletter would be very cool (i'd recommend that it be quarterly) to include
all that you suggest.  it's only a matter of time until some daring builder
attempts an lds temple.
a web site is also very do-able.

My first concern is visibility.  It'd be cool to have a starter page like
GMLUG, BAYLUG, etc. but the cost may necessitate some small, probably
one-time, member fees.

how about a xoom.com or some other free site?
if these are too much of a pain (with banners and all) i wouldn't mind starting
a page on my geocities-plus account and maintaining that for free (i only pay
five bucks a month).

Which means members.  :-,  I'm sure that there are
Utahns out there who, otherwise lacking resources for a Web page, would pay
a small one-time fee to join such a club.  But how does one go about looking
for local Legomaniacs offline?  I wonder if a local Lego club could get the
help of any local science teachers...?

aahhh, i see, a page that allows users to create their own page.  hmmm.  my
first idea for recruiting would be to make an announcement to rec.toys.lego and
try to snag a couple of people that way.  it would be nice to just get some
basics going and then with meetings and correspondence, see how to branch out.

Whatsuputah (1) does offer free event listings.  Checking their calander...

HEY!  Weird Al is coming to the E-Center on Sep. 30!  $24.50 at Smiths's
Tix...

are you going to go?  i can't believe ricky flash-in-the-pan martin is charging
$47.00 for tickets (at least that's what i heard).

My second concern is distance.  If we hold a meeting in the Salt Lake
valley, we'd risk alienating people in Payson.  If we hold meetings at Moab,
Loganites may not show up.  Plus, since the average Utahn household has
something like 17.83 automobiles (2), there's almost no way of getting
around should you be without a car.

no problem.  once we decide when (how often) to meet, we'll rotate the
meetings location.  since it's just you and me for now, we could first meet in
provo and then meet up my way for the next meeting.  it might sound like a pain
but i only see us meeting once every other month.  that way if folks up north
feel like provo is too far south they could wait for the next meeting.
catering to folks WAY down south (st george, moab) gets a bit more sticky to
where we'd have to maybe plan one meeting a year in their area (or maybe at a
halfway point like richfield or price).

let's keep it rolling.  if you'd like to design a page, i'll post it and we'll
get things going with a first meeting sometime in october or november.

..joseph g