 Local / United States / Utah / 4
Re: GULP (was Re: sproaty's responses)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ut, lugnet.loc.us.ut.slc
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 20:21:49 GMT

Joseph Gonzalez wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jeremy Sproat writes:
And while we're on the topic of "dig out your bricks", how long
before we start up a "Greater Utah Lego People" club?
really now THIS is a must...i'm a bit further north now (clinton) but
we need to get this going.  can it still be a club if there are only
two of us?
With only 2 people, it'd be more of a stick than a club, but sure, why
not!  Who else do you know who would be interested?  I can vouch for my
wife Barbara, and supposedly a DJ at 107.5 has a Legomaniac relative...
Jason Moulding is a Castle completist that lives in Salt Lake (though I
don't know if he still surfs)...I'll see if I can get in contact with him.

Barbara pointed out the delicacies of litigation and that Greater Utah Lego
People sounds like it's officially sponsored by TLG.  We came up with a few
more ideas:

Greater Utah Lego Fans -- GULF, the joke being that Utah is a land-locked
state

Greater Utah Lego Admirers Group -- GULAG, representing the state of the
Lego market in Utah

Kollectors and Enthusiasts of Wasatch Lego -- KEWL

Deseret Region Online Lego Lovers -- DROLL

etc.

I still like GULP, though.  ;-)

What would the benefits of membership be?  I'd recommend at least regular
meetings to share ideas and models and catalogs and lime Jell-o.  Perhaps
also, something like a newsletter with shopping hints and building ideas for
proto-Legomaniacs to snarf.  With a Web site for the club, non-Internetters
could publish their Lego models.

My first concern is visibility.  It'd be cool to have a starter page like
GMLUG, BAYLUG, etc. but the cost may necessitate some small, probably
one-time, member fees.  Which means members.  :-,  I'm sure that there are
Utahns out there who, otherwise lacking resources for a Web page, would pay
a small one-time fee to join such a club.  But how does one go about looking
for local Legomaniacs offline?  I wonder if a local Lego club could get the
help of any local science teachers...?

Whatsuputah (1) does offer free event listings.  Checking their calander...

HEY!  Weird Al is coming to the E-Center on Sep. 30!  $24.50 at Smiths's
Tix...

My second concern is distance.  If we hold a meeting in the Salt Lake
valley, we'd risk alienating people in Payson.  If we hold meetings at Moab,
Loganites may not show up.  Plus, since the average Utahn household has
something like 17.83 automobiles (2), there's almost no way of getting
around should you be without a car.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  http://www.whatsuputah.com/

2.  I have no clue how many of these are up on blocks in peoples' front
yards...  Old "you-might-be-a-redneck-if" joke!  :-P

Remember -- the enemy's gate is DOWN.