 Off-Topic / Fun / 2919
Re: Dragon magazine comics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 19:26:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jeremy Sproat writes:
Jeff Stembel wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jeremy Sproat writes:
Ummm...  Hmmm...  (confer confer)  *ahem*  Snarfquest this!
Hey!  You like Snarfquest, too?  Cool!  I wish Larry Elmore would continue
working on it.  Maybe he'll do another one for Dragon Magazine's 300th • issue.
How much of the series do you have?

I *loved* Snarfquest, and was bitterly disappointed by the ending.  But I
can see how such a long-running comic saga could have burned Larry out.

I don't think I ever saw the ending, I'll have to check.  A couple years ago, I
got about 50-75% of issues 50-160 from one of my mother's coworkers.  That was
really cool.  :)

Sadly, I gave all my issues of Dragon to my sister...

What I really looked forward to reading, however, was Wormy.  The art was
simply incredible!  Not too long ago, someone had the entire series scanned
and available at:

http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Union/2586/wormy.html

...but TSR's lawyers yanked it down.  >:-(  I'd really like to know what
happened to Trampier...  TSR has (1) a way of bumping all the good people
off the employee lists...

Well, there were some compilation volumes available for Wormy, I believe.

And then there's Yamara.  Wow, what a halfling babe!  :-,  I have the comic
compilation that Steve Jackson Games published, and it gets read regularly.

Ditto!  I purchased it too, but I can't find it.  :(

When I stopped reading Dragon, they were doing another color epic comic that
I really liked.  I forget its title.  It had to do with this guy from our
world, mystically transported to the fairie world in search of his ex-wife
and daughter, etc.  It was really decent IMHO.

I have a couple of those issues, but I'm not sure if it was ever finished.  If
it was, I'm pretty sure I don't have those issues.  Although, now that I think
about it...  Hmmm..  I'll hafta check.

Some of the more recent comics they've had include Libram X,
Floyd(1), Nodwick(2), and Knights of the Dinner Table.  Did you ever see the
full color Snarfquest Special in issue #200?

Also, TSR is gonna release a CD-ROM with either the first 200 or 250 issues of
Dragon on it.  Hopefully, it'll include the Comics and the Dragonmirth from all
those issues.

All around, good stuff.  If-and-when I DM a D&D game again, I will borrow
heavily from all these comics!  :-,

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  Should this be "had a way"?  I heard a rumour that Wizards of the Coast
bought TSR and prompty re-hired Gary Gygax!

I know Gygax has done some work for TSR recently, but I can't confirm if he's
been re-hired.

Jeff

1 - *Really* funny comic by Aaron Williams.  Unfortunately, he put it on hold
indefinitly.

2 - Also by Aaron Williams, this is about a Henchman, and what his party puts
him through.  Again, *really* funny.  This is currently running in both Dungeon
and Dragon.