 Local / United States / Utah / 6
Re: to GULP or not to GULP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ut
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 22:08:00 GMT

Joseph Gonzalez wrote:
In lugnet.loc.us.ut, Jeremy Sproat writes:
Deseret Region Online Lego Lovers -- DROLL
i still like gulp the best but DROLL is definitely the runner up

Cool!  Do you have any other acronyms?  We could always go with Wasatch
Front Lego Users Group -- WFLUG.

regular meetings is a definite.
a newsletter would be very cool (i'd recommend that it be quarterly) to include
all that you suggest.
a web site is also very do-able.

Yah, I'd vote on these as being the absolute minimum.  Priority (highest to
lowest):  meetings, newsletter, Web site with contact info.

My first concern is visibility.  It'd be cool to have a starter page like
GMLUG, BAYLUG, etc. but the cost may necessitate some small, probably
one-time, member fees.
how about a xoom.com or some other free site?
if these are too much of a pain (with banners and all) i wouldn't mind starting
a page on my geocities-plus account and maintaining that for free (i only pay
five bucks a month).

I was thinking more along the lines of offline visibility.  There has to be
a largish, non-Net Legomaniac population simmering under the Wasatch
surface.  I mean, *SOMEONE* bought all six Technic Space Shuttles at the
Orem TRU in one day...

Which means members.  :-,  I'm sure that there are
Utahns out there who, otherwise lacking resources for a Web page, would pay
a small one-time fee to join such a club.  But how does one go about looking
for local Legomaniacs offline?  I wonder if a local Lego club could get the
help of any local science teachers...?
aahhh, i see, a page that allows users to create their own page.  hmmm.  my
first idea for recruiting would be to make an announcement to rec.toys.lego and
try to snag a couple of people that way.  it would be nice to just get some
basics going and then with meetings and correspondence, see how to branch out.

Yah, first things first.  I don't see fees being an issue until costs above
$100-200 or so come up.  (Read:  Vanity domain!  Vanity domain!)

My second concern is distance.  If we hold a meeting in the Salt Lake
valley, we'd risk alienating people in Payson.  If we hold meetings at Moab,
Loganites may not show up.  Plus, since the average Utahn household has
something like 17.83 automobiles (2), there's almost no way of getting
around should you be without a car.
no problem.  once we decide when (how often) to meet, we'll rotate the
meetings location.  since it's just you and me for now, we could first meet in
provo and then meet up my way for the next meeting.  it might sound like a pain
but i only see us meeting once every other month.  that way if folks up north
feel like provo is too far south they could wait for the next meeting.

Sounds good.  We could even meet at someone's house as opposed to a $$$
library room or some such.  My house is okay if you enjoy a dearth of
available Lego models for show-n-tell.  :-P

catering to folks WAY down south (st george, moab) gets a bit more sticky to
where we'd have to maybe plan one meeting a year in their area (or maybe at a
halfway point like richfield or price).

The other LUGs have to have figured out a solution for this.  They cover
multiple states.

let's keep it rolling.  if you'd like to design a page, i'll post it and we'll
get things going with a first meeting sometime in october or november.

What should be on the Web page?  URLs for any Utah Legomaniac we know, and
club contact info...what else?

I'll probably be in the San Francisco area for the Thanksgiving break
(Montery Bay Aquarium, here I come! :-)  Other weekends should work okay on
my end.

HEY!  Weird Al is coming to the E-Center on Sep. 30!  $24.50 at Smiths's
Tix...
are you going to go?  i can't believe ricky flash-in-the-pan martin is charging
$47.00 for tickets (at least that's what i heard).

I probably won't go.  I tend to enjoy smaller performances better than
stadium shows...

it's only a matter of time until some daring builder
attempts an lds temple.

Ooooooohhhhh...  Talk about a project.  Wow.  :-,  There are half a dozen
buildings in SLC that would look way cool as Lego models, architecturally
speaking.

Cheers,
- jsproat

Remember -- the enemy's gate is DOWN.