 LEGO Company / 234
233  |  235
Subject:
TLC hiring fans (was: Re: AFOLs as cheapskates)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 20:20:12 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Mark Sandlin writes:
Ray Sanders at rsanders@svic.net wrote:

Gee...  might that have anything to do with the fact that we are AFOLs 24/7,
while many of the TLC people are 8-5 employees 5 days a week ?

Ray

It's continually amazing to me that they hire people who care not one whit
about the brick or what it means to people.

~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin

Well, I can only speak from my own experience, but I'd like you to know that of
the employees I've met, or worked with, all cared at least a bit. Some care
quite a lot, and they even work in areas which can be influential in future
product offerings. Extensive knowledge of all LEGO products, and history of past
products, seems rare though.

I remember in 1995 or so, when I daydreamed of working for the company, I just
assumed that LEGO would never knowingly hire fans for fear of their lack of
objective decision making. I figured it could possibly happen in their model
making shops where building experience was an asset, or in the theme parks for
example, but not in areas capable of thumbs up / thumbs down rulings.

I guess I still believe this is true. I really can't blame them if it is. But I
also believe that everyone here who posts is an unpaid consultant.

-Suz.