 General / 7058
Re: Train doors and windows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 23:41:37 GMT

Hi LUGNET Community members,

Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com> wrote in message
news:slrn7sgjqo.7ai.cjc@VADER.NS.UTK.EDU...
Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote:
I feel all discussions concerning this deal should remain in the public
arena.

Why do you feel that way? What business of yours (as a non participant)
is it, really? (Note well that I would welcome your participation)

Well, outside of the specifics of the private contract between the
consortium members, I think this whole topic is of a potentially HUGE
interest to just about everyone who reads here.

Unless I throw my $500 in I don't care what you pay per piece, what
you auction them for, or anything else that has to do with the
consortium.

As someone who would very much like to order OTHER parts in bulk,
though, I don't see how anyone could not think that a lot of people
would want to discuss this.

I was going to pledge $500 towards this idea, but when I discovered we were
not going to be able to even suggest parts, that instead they were all going
to be train windows and doors and a few others that were chosen by the
people setting this up, I pulled my pledge.  I agree with Mike on this.  I
think it is important to open this up publicly and let everyone know what's
going on so that we might agree on something that would benefit all of us.
I don't know how many have already pledged to just buy train windows and
doors through Larry's proposal, but I would like to offer a different
suggestion that you should consider before pledging your money to Larry.
(Note:  This is not an attack on Larry, just trying to make people aware of
the issue and an alternative.)

I suggest:

1.  People pledge an amount of money that they can afford, be it $1 to
$10,000.
2.  Each pledge will be accompanied by a list of parts that you want the
most.  This list could be as long as you want.  But you should place your
most desired at the top.
3.  People who pledge $100 or more will be the ones who decide which parts
are ordered.
4.  Parts will be ordered in lots of 500.
5.  Parts are chosen by going through the list according to the amount
pledged (highest to lowest) and alphabetically (when pledges are the same).
The first part on the list of the highest pledgee with the last name coming
first in the English alphabet will be added to the list to be ordered, then
the first part of the second highest pledgee with the last name coming
first/second will be added to the list of parts to be ordered, etc, until
all parts on everyone's list is on the order list.  When a part is listed
more than once on different peoples lists, those people will be contacted to
decide whether that part should be ordered multiple times or if one order of
500 would suffice.  In those cases where only one order was decided on then
the first pledgee with that part order would be the 'owner' of that part
request and consecutive people who agreed to the one order will have the