 Trains / 2053
Re: Train doors and windows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 15:18:38 GMT

Mark Harrison wrote:

Hi Larry,

Its always good to get ones intentions out in the open. My concern is that
someone has encouraged Christian in Denmark to deal with people in the 500
club to the exclusion of all others, tell me I'm wrong.

You're wrong, near as I can tell. Christer (ER, not IAN) told me he was
getting bombarded with mail, told me that too much uproar would sour the
deal and get his friend in trouble and cause it not to happen. Keep it
up.

Why can't interested people put there orders in to Christian directly for the
parts they personally want?

Go ahead. No one is stopping you from trying. But it's Christer's call.
My read is he wants to deal with one group, not a bunch. But who knows,
he's been incommunicado for a while now, this could all be a huge row
over nothing. The deal could be dead already.

Your not doing anyone a favour by putting a $500 minimum on a purchase.

Which leads me to suspect while calling for more detail you haven't read
what I posted. 500 is the minimum investment, not purchase. You can buy
more, or less than what you invest. And I think Tom put it quite well, I
am doing all the people in the consortium, and all the people who would
get to buy stuff at auction because there was some left over (instead of
everyone buying exactly what they need and no more, how exclusionary is
that???) a huge favor by putting together a deal that has some
(diminishing, thanks to all this brouhaha) chance of happening.

Stop calling it exclusionary, anyone who wants in is welcome, they just
have to agree to the terms. One of those terms is 500 minimum investment
until and unless I change my mind on an individual basis or (and here's
a new offer) until someone else steps up and says "I don't have a life,
I'll take on the horrendus job that doing the accounting for this is
going to be, so less than 500 is OK".

Is this what you had intended for the parts from NZ Lego?

Is "what" what I had intended? Getting them into the hands of people who
were prepared to efficiently distribute them to people that wanted to
use them as quickly as possible, instead of having them transfererred to
Australia, where, apparently, the last bunch got crushed and landfilled,
and MAYBE, some Australian lego fans may or may not get the benefit but
certainly no one outside OZ? Ya, that's what I intended.

Did you see those pictures Sanjay just posted? That parts room was a
mess. It would be a heck of a job for someone to sort through all that
stuff and get enough order into it to get stuff sold off to other fans.
Isn't it fair that whoever those people are be compensated for that?

If it was then my concerns were well founded.

Whatever.

I'm getting more than a little tired of your carping. You run auctions
all the time, and you make money off them. Heck, you make money off ME,
your factor, a lot more than I make off you handling the payments to and
from your account. I'm OK with that. (Certainly I haggle with you over
prices but ultimately I either agree and pay, or don't) What exactly is
the problem with doing something to benefit the community but making an
honest return at the same time?

Or is it OK for you to make money but not for others? You just did a
deal yourself that was based on you knowing somewhere to get sets that
other people didn't, and it's not your first deal like that either.
There is NOTHING wrong with that. People do it all the time.
What is wrong is carping at other people who are just trying to get
something major to happen without a lot of back seat driving.

lugnet.