 Trains / 2049
Re: Train doors and windows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 10:48:05 GMT

Let me start this out by saying I am NOT a trainhead, yet I hope to be in
on this deal, because believe it or not, train windows/doors can be used
for other purposes ;-)

I also know nothing more about the deal that what has been posted in here,
but have pledged money towards it.  It is a chance that simply can't be
passed up.

Mark Harrison wrote:

Hi Larry,

Its always good to get ones intentions out in the open. My concern is that
someone has encouraged Christian in Denmark to deal with people in the 500
club to the exclusion of all others, tell me I'm wrong.

Why can't interested people put there orders in to Christian directly for the
parts they personally want?

I think Larry has already answered this with the correct answer that
arguing about WHAT "needs" to be purchased could end up making it so that
NOTHING is available.  Better to get SOMETHING, even limited, than NOTHING
at all.

Your not doing anyone a favour by putting a $500 minimum on a purchase.

Oh yes, he is - he's making the deal more likely to happen.  Lower the
minimum too much, and you'll have too many people, and too much bickering
about what "should" be done.  And months later, you are no closer to a
deal, or the whole thing has fallen apart from all the arguing.

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

The RISK is that we may be so successful at buying parts that the bottom
drops out of the train windows market

Well don't buy more than you need.

HohoHO!  Define "need".  I'm sure some of the members are in the various
train groups.  Some of these guys could use up 100 train windows just
finishing off CURRENT projects, and if they'd want any for future projects,
they'd better get 500 or so each just to make SURE they can build a car in
the color scheme they wanted.

Me, I don't "need" ANY AT ALL....right now.  Because I just finished
trading for some I MIGHT need for a project, and haven't finalized another
project yet.  But I have many ideas that could really use these
doors/windows in the future.  Offhand, I could probably use up 50 doors and
100 windows in black.  Then I'd go back and swap some colored windows/doors
in those projects.  But to fully colorize, I'd have to wait until I got the
right supporting pieces in those colors (for example, 20+ green macaronis,
and other pieces that don't yet exist in green to my knowledge, like 6081
and 6091).  So I don't really know what I "need" in other colors right
now.  I sure would like to keep 6-10 of each color window and door with
glass if at all possible, even though I don't "need" them.

and we cannot even get (at auction)
what we paid.

The price to the consortium is a fixed 30% over the actual cost, to everyone
else it's what the auctions net. As I said if you take out 650 worth of
parts for your 500 buy in, the markup is essentially transparent to you.

I still say there is no risk if you only purchase enough pieces to meet your
own needs.

There is risk if the auctioned parts go for less than cost.  I doubt (and
sure HOPE) that will not happen, but I don't plan on keeping $650 worth of
windows/doors, so I will be hurt if the auction does not go well.  However,
this is a chance to get windows/doors "cheaply", and in colors not easily
available, so I MUST go in on it for future project considerations.

As to communicating in public, nope. that's not just my opinion either. it's
the opinion of the other participants (cashed up greedy middle men, as you
put it).

I didn't put it exactly like that, but its probably a better description.
Is this what you had intended for the parts from NZ Lego?
If it was then my concerns were well founded.

I am anything BUT cashed up.  I'm going to have to sell sets to cover
this.  But it's worth it.

Am I the only one that thinks this deal is getting a little slimy?

This deal, to be blunt, is NOT there to make everyone happy.  It is there
to actually GET the parts.  If it were structured to make everyone happy,
it would never go through, and ALL would be unhappy.  As it is, if it DOES
go through, and the auction goes well, the consortium members will be
happy, as will anyone who bought those parts at auction, considering
they'll be able to buy at a scale never before possible.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/