 Trains / 2047
Re: Train doors and windows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 04:55:55 GMT

Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com> wrote in message
news:slrn7sgvsb.7be.cjc@VADER.NS.UTK.EDU...
Adam Howard <abhoward10@hotmail.com> wrote:
people setting this up, I pulled my pledge.  I agree with Mike on this. • I
think it is important to open this up publicly and let everyone know • what's
going on so that we might agree on something that would benefit all of • us.

Just to be clear, either you don't agree with me or I'm
misunderstanding what you're saying here and later on.

I have absolutely NO desire to change, adjust, alter, or anything
else, this deal going through with Larry's coordination.  He's only
doing a deal that involves train doors and windows?  Fine, if that's
what he and others want to spend their money on.

Neither do I.  My main reason for sending out the suggestion was to ensure a
better success rate.  IMO as money offered increases, success with TLG deal
increases.  I don't want people to think I'm trying to woo them over to a
better deal.  There isn't one.

(snip)
What I could like to know is how this is being done, what sort of
process it is, etc.  Then I might be able to put together my own
consortium of Castle nuts to get what WE want.

My main reason for the suggestion was rather than a bunch of little groups
throwing money at TLG one big group would have a better chance of success.
However, if you ever decide to try to get a Castle consortium going I'll be
there.

I suggest:

1.  People pledge an amount of money that they can afford, be it $1 to
$10,000.

Who is going to do the paperwork, the accounting?  I gotta be honest,
I'm about to change my rules for my own auction site to preven random
small orders, especially from overseas.  Where's the benefit in
spending even 2 minutes dealing with something that involves a dollar
or two?  My time is certainly worth a lot more than that.

I admit it would be a big job, but no bigger than a super huge auction which
has been hosted for the Lego community.  It would take a lot of work to set
up the paper-work and accounting spreadsheets, but it is do-able and for me
well worth my time if any of this came to fruition.  As far as the $1, it's
not written in stone.  Probably a limit of $100 would be better- an amount
more people can afford and they still get to have at least one part on the
order list (unless TLG never gets down the list that far).

2.  Each pledge will be accompanied by a list of parts that you want the
most.  This list could be as long as you want.  But you should place your
most desired at the top.
3.  People who pledge $100 or more will be the ones who decide which • parts
are ordered.
4.  Parts will be ordered in lots of 500.

Hrmmm..... sounds like 4. would be much more likely to be dictated by
the seller of the parts than the buyer.  What if the minimum lot size
is 2,000?

That number was quoted to me by someone working on the current consortium
deal.  So the minimum lot size for my suggestion might be as much as 2000.
Who knows until TLG is asked.

Personally I think this would be the most ideal solution to our 'once in • a
life-time' deal with TLG.  Please send comments.

I suggest you try to do what you suggested.  I'd be willing to help
you with some of the logistics, and I'd certainly be willing to
buy-in.  I doubt VERY seriously TLG would consider doing a run of 500
units of any piece, though, which probably means you'd have to change
a lot of what you're thinking from the beginning.

Hmm... I'll wait a couple of months and see how the consortium deal does.  I
don't want to do anything that would ruin their current chances.  It also
depends on how much time I'd have to put towards this in the future.  Again,
the suggestion was just that, not an offer.

I say do what you've suggested and see if you get a favorable response
from TLG.  If not, people are only out a few minutes worth of thinking
of what part(s) they'd like, and nothing else.  I definitely say leave
Larry's consortium out of it.  They already seem to have a working
deal.  I'd like to learn more about it, but I don't want to change it.

I have to say I think I'll start working on a wish list, just in case
someone else decides to do this or if I finally decide it's worth it to do
myself.

Thanks,
Adam