Re: Ldraw.organization (was: License revision 1)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 19:28:43 GMT

[snipped .cad.dev from ng list]

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Leonardo Zide wrote:

I think it would be better to have the FAQ split, there should be a
smaller FAQ with only questions that general users ask (how can I save a
.bmp ?) and another with more advanced questions (how to make a type 5
line ?). A very long FAQ scares people away.

I very much agree with this.  It doesn't matter if it's a physical split,
or a simple matter of presentation.  As long as normal people don't have to
wade through the geek-gunk.

I think he's reading the messages... Steve, what do you think about my
idea for the voting procedure ? Do you want to make the voting more
integrated with the parts tracker ? I can help with that.

I want to do away with voting, as it works currently.[1]  I'll post more in
the other thread I started.  Which probably should be on
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, not lugnet.cad.dev.  Oops.

I've been a bit busy at work but soon I won't have much to do and I'll
be able to help more. I'll be free until the end of january when I'll
(probably) move.

I think we'll be able to split the work out a bit.

  It's all a matter of deciding the standards we're going to use and
having a place to keep the parts. LeoCAD does something like this, it
checks www.leocad.org/update.txt and tells the user if there's a new
version of the program or library available (but doesn't download and
install).

Having a "current status" file for ldraw.org/library has been discussed,
and I think it's a good idea.

The current parts library is available from www.ldraw.org/library/dat/, but
unfortunately, you have to know what to ask for.  There's no index.

Also, I think it would be better to deploy the files using the same
directory structure as the distributed library uses.  Instead of putting
all parts and primitives into /dat/, they should be in /parts/ and /p/.
This c/would increase the number of server hits, but would play better with
any licensing document we decide on.

What I'd really like (but is a bit outlandish) is a feed like LUGNET's
avid.cgi.  Avid.cgi provides an http-based api for clients to check for new
messages on the news server.

For ldraw.org, such a feed would be updated by the library-server every
time a file was made official.  Client programs could check the feed, and
use the information to retrieve updated parts.

I've been thinking about making individual files available and I think
that having a cvs server would fit all of our needs. If you don't know
what cvs is, it's a version control system used very much under Linux
but it also has a nice GUI for win32 users (www.wincvs.org). All you
have to do is type "cvs update" and it will update your local copy from
a remote repository.

I've thought about using CVS as the back-end for the new Parts Tracker, but
I don't have a good enough handle on Linux[2] to know whether adding a
front end to CVS or developing from scratch would be less work.

--
Steve
1) Because currently, voting doesn't work.