 CAD / Development / 5707
Re: License revision 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 18:36:18 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Leonardo Zide wrote:

Based on some feedback, here's a revised copy of the license. I hope
it addresses more concerns raised here, while keeping it free.

I like where you're going, mostly.

Note that paragraph 5 is only for commercial applications, L3P is not
subject to it.

I'd like to not have different terms for commercial and non-commercial
applications.  I don't see a valid reason for discriminating on the basis
of cost.

My thinking is this:  most LCAD'ish things are available in a free program.
In order for someone charge for their program, and be successful at it,
their software must have significant value above the zero-price
alternatives.  If the value isn't there, no one will buy their program, and
it will go away (either literally or figuratively).  If the value is there,
it's also likely that someone else will eventually duplicate the
value-adding feature, and start giving it away.

If this library is used with a commercial application then it's use
and
redistribution is also subject to the following conditions:

Nit: "its", not "it's".

4. All library contributors must be granted a full license to use the
    application for only a nominal fee to cover the physical act of
    transferring a copy of the application.

Does this work slightly better?

.  4. All library contributors must be granted a full, paid-up license to
.     use the application.  A nominal fee may be required, only to cover
.     the physical act of transferring a copy of the application.

5. If the library or parts of it are converted to another format then
    the source code of the program used to convert the library must
also
    be made available.

I disagree with #5 completely.

If you would like to use this library under other licenses, write to
the
authors to ask for permission; we sometimes make exceptions.

I disagree with this as well.  I think such communication should be
directed to the semi-mythical ldraw.org.

[INSERT LIST OF CONTRIBUTORS (authors + maintainers)]

Change this to:

. Contributors:
.   James Jessiman
.   Tore Eriksson
.   Terry Keller
.   Tim Courtney
.   Authors are listed in the part files they contributed to.

I'd rather not rev the license document every time we get a new author.

Steve