 CAD / Development / 5826
Re: Ldraw.organization (was: License revision 1)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 16:22:51 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Leonardo Zide writes:
Tim Courtney wrote:

Ok.  Lets figure out if we are going to make the move (LDraw vs LCAD in the name
vote) and act on that.  This doesn't necessarily mean that LDraw.org will go
away - but a new site could be put up at least for the official organization at
l-cad.org.  Later we can decide whether its appropriate or not to phase out
http://www.ldraw.org (I don't think it is) and stick with LCad.  But IMO, we
will always keep the LDraw domain and it will always link to the current LCAD
site.

I think that www.ldraw.org should continue to exist and should focus
only on things related to the program LDraw.

Dissagree...

I was thinking in the form of a common Q&A help desk at LDraw.org, so the common
questions don't keep getting asked and re-asked here.  Maybe even an email
address that would email a few volunteer 'helpers' and then email the CAD group
as well?

Lots of people don't read FAQs or other sources of documentation but
it's worth to have them to at least help the few people that read the
docs.

Good idea.  Also, it would be nice to have an application written for the site
to manage the parts organizaiton when they are in limbo before an official
update.

I don't have any experience writing databases for web pages but if
nobody else volunteers to do it, I can try to make some perl scripts to
take care of the parts.

Or you use a Revison Control type system....

And, does this mean parts could be introduced (officially) individually?

I think so, we could have a program that retrieves a file from
www.ldraw.org (/parts/list.txt) that has all available official parts
and their dates and compares it to the user's local installation and
downloads the new files. Of course, this should be integrated with the
parts tracker to make everyone's life easier.

Alternativly If anyone here can talk CORBA it might be worthwile considering
using an app written with that to allow for distribution from various sites
according to an agreed standard... i.e Ldraw.org acts as the central control
server but it dosen't nessacriyl have to store all the parts.. Which sould
be staored on the original authours machines for various reasons..

An extension of this could scan the Lugnet cad.dat hireachy for newer but
unoffical parts.... marking them clearly as such...

So in GUI terms what you would see is a tree-list of parts(nneded because of
subpart usage...) with a red light or a green light, A Red Light indicates a
newer version is availble from the downlaod site. Green indicates that the
user already has the most recent version.  Wholly new parts would be shown
in bold typeface( as opposed to plain for exisiting ones) With no red or
green-light..   After revieing the list and selcting the parts the user
wnats to download  the user canc lick on an Update button at the bottom of
the window and the relevant updates are downloaded. Importnatly the update
tool will not install updates which will have to be done by the users...

On Linux RPM is often used to manage installations? Could a simmilar scheme
be employed for LCad related tools and programs...?

It's all a matter of deciding the standards we're going to use and
having a place to keep the parts. LeoCAD does something like this, it
checks www.leocad.org/update.txt and tells the user if there's a new
version of the program or library available (but doesn't download and
install).

Ideally , NO Application progrma should automatically download a 'patch'
update or add-in.. Look at how 'Active-X' viri spread!!...
Personally I would prefer the option of the progrma llowing the user to
downlad the patch but then require th user to install the update so that
other admin tasks (such as virus checking) could be done in the meantime...

  If you have some free time then take a look at this file:  (900 Kb).
It's an example of a very simple animation done with LeoCAD (without any
external programs) that cannot be saved in LDraw format because it is
very limited. If you have LeoCAD installed you can download the source
file at http://gerf.org/~leo/anim.lcd (10 Kb), press the "play" button
to see it.

Cool!  I just downloaded LeoCAD for the first time in a couple years, and I like
it a lot!  I'd love to continue discussing features and what I'd like to see
there when I get more free time.

It really needs better documentation but you'll see that several
features that MLCad has were already in LeoCAD a long time ago. Let me
know if you have any suggestions, I'd be interested in hearing your
opinions.

  Now answering your question: I've volunteered in the past to
participate in a new CAD project but nobody replied so I'll keep working
slowly to add the Artemis ideas to LeoCAD.

Yeah.  One disappointment I've found in the past is if you want something done,
do it yourself.  Granted there are a few people who step up and do an incredible
job, they're hard to come by.  I just wish I knew more technical schtuff so I
could do a better job at what I already do.

Yes, and not working together is a waste of time for everyone.

  l-cad.org is my favorite and it's available.

Someone should snag it.  I will do it myself, provided I can count on donations
to make up my cost.  I really can't afford to pay for the whole name myself.

Alex