 CAD / Development / 5732
Re: Ldraw.organization (was: License revision 1)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 21:02:37 GMT

"Leonardo Zide" <leonardo@centroin.com.br> wrote in message
Steve Bliss wrote:

I think it would be sufficient if we officially accept our somewhat
anarchic approach.  Basically, we could have (appoint, elect) specific
officer positions, such as 'server admin', 'primary evangelist', 'parts
library administrator', 'innocent bystander'.  The group of officers would
comprise the 'ldraw.org committee', who would have to responsibility of
keeping things going, and possibly deciding on issues.  There wouldn't be
any ruling hierarchy[1] -- all officers would be on an equal level.

  This is something that confuses me, sometimes you say ldraw.org and
sometimes LCAD organization. I'd rather see things going in the
direction of an "LCAD organization", I know that currently LDraw
accounts for most of what we call LCAD but I don't like to see things
centered around a program. What happens if one day we change to another
program ?

That's true.  There should be a gradual shift in naming to 'LCAD Organization'
rather than LDraw.org, etc [1].  Eventually LCAD *will* change to another
program, that is it.  As the Windows editors continue to improve in quality and
functionality, there is a continuing big shift of user bases from the old DOS
LDraw to the Windows MLCad, LeoCAD, etc.  LCAD should still be in existance to
support the parts and resources for these new programs, despite the fact that
the community has moved away from LDraw proper.

Getting back to Steve's comments - I like the idea.  Lets expound on some of
that further.  Here are the areas which I feel are important to LCAD (feel free
to add, dispute, expound, etc)

Server Administrator - someone to keep the innards of LDraw.org running

Website Coordinator [2] - someone whose primary function is to maintain the site
and add new features - guide discussion as relates to the site (pages,
resources)

Parts Library Administrator - Organizes parts updates and conducts the selecting
process

Promotions [2] - Any number of people who interact with the Website Coordinator
and the public to promote LDraw in different sectors - educational, home,
community, etc.

Technical Support - Not 'tech support' as a lot of companies have, as in
dedicated operators to answer email, phone, etc.  But sort of a head of a
Technical Area - which provides help on the LDraw.org site and in the CAD
discussion groups.  This is an important side of the relations to the 'consumer'
of LCAD.

Steve already mentioned most of these positions, I just extrapolated on them.
For the most part, in LCAD these positions are filled semi-officially.  I do
feel there is more room for people to get involved, with as much time
committment as they want to take on.

So - how will these semi-official positions be turned into official ones, and
who will jump on board (if anyone wants to).  Does anyone have objections to the
current semi-official positions and for what reasons?  Does anyone want to
comment on the ideas presented here and how this is being handled and provide
input?

What LCAD work constitues a position on the LCAD Committee (I would prefer this
to LDraw.org committee, to prevent having to phase the name out later)?

Thoughts??

  Let's face it, the current file format is not friendly to 3D hardware
and sooner or later we will want to change to something better. For
example: we still use vectors instead of textures to draw patterns, if
we were using textures we would have many more patterned parts available
right now (and they would be rendered faster too).

A la Artemis?  I've been pushing that at random for quite some time now.  I'd be
elated if the programmers of the newer Windows stuff got together and designed a
new format and a new editor :D

Hmm..perhaps I could add exposure to it by writing an article on the 'Future of
LCAD' for LDraw.org.  Good idea.  (or if anyone else wants to write this, be my
guest)

Leonardo

[1] I did a quick check for LCAD-domain names, and .org and .com are taken, but
.net is not.  If LCAD were to get a domain, we could go for a variant of that
which would not be taken.  (Lcad-organization.com, Lcad-org.com/net/org,
L-cad.org)

[2] From my own perspective, I've seen myself filling the roles of both Website
Coordinator and Promotions.  I enjoy doing both, but would welcome others into a
promotions area, or even to share the workload on the website.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114 - AIM: TimCourtne