 CAD / Development / 5737
Re: Ldraw.organization (was: License revision 1)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 13:19:10 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Tim Courtney writes:
"James Powell" <wx732@freenet.victoria.bc.ca> wrote in message
Tim wrote:
That's true.  There should be a gradual shift in naming to 'LCAD • Organization'
rather than LDraw.org, etc [1].

No.  Although I am -not- one of the CADheads, my vote would be to keep the
organization name/URL to be LDraw.org, because it honors James Jessman.  Yes,
the focus of it _will_ change to LCAD programs (I'm one of the people who • would
like to see MLCad get more exposure on the Ldraw page, but hey...I started out
with Ldraw).

James Powell

Point taken.  Any other opinions on this?

Well, I suppose nothing says that the URL and the title need
match.  If it's possible maybe try to dissociate the name Ldraw
from the tool Ldraw?  What I mean is newcomers to LCAD (like
myself a few months ago) will want to go to that site as a
central place on the net to get information/sofware for LCAD
in general (if I understand your new desired mission for the
site correctly).  And then once there they'll want info to
determine which software they'd like to use.  As long as the
welcome page or site name is sufficiently clear, I don't
see how the URL matters (much).

For myself I lurked long enough to know what Ldraw was before
I ever got near using LCAD.  And I heard enough to know it
was just too archaic for my patience.  Yes, I've spent a lot
of time coding and using DOS programs, but I use Pro/ENGINEER
almost daily and Ldraw would be too much of a system shock!
I went to ldraw.org and grabbed MLCAD instead, and I think
it rocks!  I can't imagine that much more that 1% of new LCAD
users are going to jump onto Ldraw.  (BTW, I was somewhat put
off buy how slow the MLCAD download site was..., it kept timing
out.)

Maybe a site name something like "Ldraw User" if the above
dissociation can be pulled off, else "LCAD User"?  A wide scope
user information hub for all LCAD activities.  All tool-specific
content would be the responsibility of the software author
(and his support groupies, delegated however wanted).  (For Pro/ENGINEER
there's one like this called Pro/USER (at www.prouser.org).  Has
a fee-free user group that can be joined and a pretty quarterly
magazine mail-out too.)  Anyhow, put the emphasis on the site
being a focal point for the LCAD user, rather than a tool-specific
site.

I'm sure there are many creative ways to still tribute J.J. there
without needing to restrict the URL or site name.

BTW, a side testimonial.  One of the guys at work (non-AFOL) saw
one of my LCAD images (from MLCAD/L3P/POV-Ray) on a page I had,
and asked how I made it.  I sent him to ldraw.org about a week
ago.  A few hours later he showed me a house he had built in
MLCAD!  That's a pretty seemless shift of gears from I-deas
which he uses at work.  I don't know if he ran the tutorial like
I did.  More evidence that new LCAD users will almost always
bee-line straight for the pretty GUI tools instead of Ldraw.
(BTW, he also reported slow MLCAD site problems.)

KDJ
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada