 CAD / Development / 5748
Re: Ldraw.organization (was: License revision 1)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 18:35:43 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, James Powell wrote:

Tim wrote:
That's true.  There should be a gradual shift in naming to 'LCAD Organization'
rather than LDraw.org, etc [1].

No.  Although I am -not- one of the CADheads, my vote would be to keep the
organization name/URL to be LDraw.org, because it honors James Jessman.  Yes,
the focus of it _will_ change to LCAD programs (I'm one of the people who would
like to see MLCad get more exposure on the Ldraw page, but hey...I started out
with Ldraw).

I'm with James on this one.  Keep ldraw.org as the domain name.  Call the
organization LDraw.org.  The parts library should be the LDraw Parts
Library.

Usually when I say/write "LDraw", I'm using the term as shorthand for "the
LDraw family of programs".  If I actually mean LDraw or LEdit, I'll be very
specific about it.

Also, LDraw is more unique/different/specific to LEGO-fandom than LCAD.

Generally, I view LDraw and LEdit as:

A. Benchmarks by which to measure compatibility.
B. The 'basic software' that's included in the starter package.  In other
words, it's not actually the software that you want to use, but it's always
there as a standard.  Maybe a fallback.

Steve