 CAD / Development / 5719
Re: License revision 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 17:04:05 GMT

"Steve Bliss" <steve.bliss@home.com> wrote in message
news:kuph3tcm65ren3nln4rnmea1kj9e64a95m@4ax.com...
In lugnet.cad.dev, Tim Courtney wrote:

Which leads us to try to define the semi-mythical ldraw.org again :-)  Its a • bit
tricky, but any suggestions?  Will there be a leadership heirarchy, or a • panel
of contributors (which is an odd number) to govern LCAD?  I think that this
should be defined if this license is to go into effect.

How does the phrase "Ad-hoc, self-selected totalitarian committee" sit with
you? ;)

Hehe..
Well given the nature of LCAD, its pretty difficult to select who is going to
lead.  But on the other side, having a panel of say 5-9 people who 'govern' LCAD
might not be such a bad idea.  What would happen if LDraw.org decided to collect
donations for projects?  For one, I am not comfortable handling (managing) large
amounts of group money, so there creates a need for some sort of treasury, and
there would need to be a governing body over that treasury.

It sounds like if it was handled wrong it could get messy.  The idea of any
governing body over LCAD would be for its guidance and proper use, and the
proper use of funds to promote LCAD.  Not to be exclusionary or to step on toes.
But I don't think there's going to be a way around it without a few people
feeling that way.  Any suggestions?  I think that the pros outweigh the cons in
creating some sort of panel, where none is the 'leader' but all can disucss and
vote on issues which will benefit LCAD.

I'd rather not rev the license document every time we get a new author.

Good idea.  Steve, you should put yourself in there as well, IMO.

I am.  Don't you see me?  "Authors are listed in the parts files they
contributed to."

But you also run the parts update...so shouldn't you get an individual mention
like the rest of us there?  I think you should, but if you don't want to, I
understand.

BTW - we're really close to the next big release at LDraw.org - only one thing
needs to be put in place.  I hope it will all be online tonight, but the final
piece is not under my control.  I think everyone will like it :-)
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114 - AIM: TimCourtne